cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5500 iSCSI QoS limitations

baracus11
Level 1
Level 1

There are some limitations regarding QoS on the Nexus Fabric Extenders. One big limitation is that they currently cannot mark packets or qos-groups using ACL's or DSCP. As far as I know, on FEX ports you can only mark ALL packets w/ a COS value or trust that they are already marked correctly?? We have an iSCSI environment that will have iSCSI hosts on the 5k's as well as the 2248TP's. Below is what I have come up w/ for QoS to prioritize the iSCSI traffic. Please let me know if you see any problems or areas for improvement.

ip access-list ISCSI-ACL

10 permit tcp any any eq 860

20 permit tcp any any eq 3260

class-map type qos match-all COS5-CMAP

match cos 5

class-map type qos match-all ISCSI-CMAP

match access-group name ISCSI-ACL

class-map type queuing GRP5-Q-CMAP

match qos-group 5

policy-map type qos ISCSI-PMAP

class ISCSI-CMAP

set qos-group 5

class class-default

set qos-group 0

policy-map type qos GLOBAL-01-PMAP

class COS5-CMAP

set qos-group 5

class class-default

set qos-group 0

policy-map type queuing GLOBAL-01-IN-Q-PMAP

class type queuing GRP5-Q-CMAP

bandwidth percent 50

class type queuing class-default

bandwidth percent 50

policy-map type queuing GLOBAL-01-OUT-Q-PMAP

class type queuing GRP5-Q-CMAP

bandwidth percent 50

class type queuing class-default

bandwidth percent 50

class-map type network-qos GRP5-NQ-CMAP

match qos-group 5

policy-map type network-qos GLOBAL-01-NQ-PMAP

class type network-qos GRP5-NQ-CMAP

pause no-drop

mtu 9216

class type network-qos class-default

multicast-optimize

system qos

service-policy type queuing input GLOBAL-01-IN-Q-PMAP

service-policy type queuing output GLOBAL-01-OUT-Q-PMAP

service-policy type qos input GLOBAL-01-PMAP

service-policy type network-qos GLOBAL-01-NQ-PMAP

5K-INTERFACE:

interface Ethernet1/5

service-policy type qos input ISCSI-PMAP

2K-INTERFACE:

interface Ethernet100/1/1

untagged cos 5

3 Replies 3

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

From a configuration perspective it look ok. But any reason you are using no-drop for iSCSI which is TCP traffic?

no-drop for TCP can cause problems when there is a resource/buffer contention. TCP flow control(sliding window) should be sufficient in my opinion. But if you are experiencing problems due to packet drops etc, I would suggest that be

investigated first before implementing no-drop class for TCP.

Is pause no-drop not something that should be deployed for iSCSI traffic? I've seen a few examples with Nexus 5000s shown using a no-drop class for iSCSI and thought it probably makes sense to use for this traffic.

Thanks,

Mike

Gustavo Novais
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, picking from your config, I have a similar issue, but with FCoE traffic in the mix.

Some of the interfaces attached to Nexus switch iscsi, but others switch FCoE, never both. I'd like to apply a service policy per interface depending on the traffic they switch

What I've found out on 5.2.1N1 is that even if specifying a different queuing policy and applying it to the interface, the interface will keep the system QoS queuing policy.

I'd like that on interface A (iscsi - qos group 4) i have 50% BW for iscsi, and 50% class default and on interface B (fcoe qos-group 2) I have 50% FCoE and 50% class default.

I've defined two queuing policies besides the one applied to system qos, to provide those values, but they just got ignored...

Is this normal behaviour? I was under the impression that interface specific policies would override system qos ones...

The temporary workaround was to define a single system QoS policy with 40% iscsi, 40%FcoE and 20% for the rest...

Thanks for any insight

Gustavo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: