Replies

npiv enable command ?

jjpeyrache
Level 1
Level 1

hello

is it disruptive for the Entire Fabric

when you enable npiv feature ?

do we need to first stop all servers attached to MDS ?

let me know

thanks

JYP

2 Replies 2

colin.mcnamara
Level 4
Level 4

This is taken from the 3.X configuration guide -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008089f988.html

"Configuring NPV

When you enable NPV, your system configuration is erased and the system is rebooted with NPV mode enabled. "

So this is a disruptive change. I would recommend quiesing either the A or B fabric, then affecting the changes on the downed fabric. Then bring your A fabric back online, and repeat with your B fabric. If you only have a single fabric, then you need a system wide down time.

If you found this helpful, please rate it

-- Colin McNamara

Careful !

NPV mode and enabling NPIV are two different things.

NPV puts a switch / module into an Intelligent passthru mode, i.e. HBA's attached to some ports passed thru an NPV port and presented to a switch as an NPIV host.

Enabling NPIV on a switch or VSAN enables that switch to recognise the NPIV hosts being present thru an NPV port.

So Yes, enabling NPV mode on a switch is most certainly disruptive, as the entire way the switch works changes.

Enabling NPIV on a switch to allow connection of NPIV hosts is not as big Change.

i.e. the Switch remains a switch, but now knows how to handle NPIV.

I have just issued, 'con t', 'npiv enable' on my switch and it did not cause any disruption.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card