Views
Helpful
Replies

NPV feature needed?

DrPepper1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody,
here we have a director switch (MDS-9513) with NPIV and fport-channel-trunk features enabled.

We had following chain: 9513 -> 9124e (module from HP blade enclosure) -> VC FlexFabric (another HP blade enclosure).

MDS9124e also has got NPIV and fport-channel-trunk features enabled.

Now both blade enclosures have been moved to a different place, where topology is different, and where a Nexus 5K is in the middle; the Nexus has got NPV enabled.

Now we have this chain: MDS9513 -> Nexus 5K -> MDS9124 -> VC FlexFabric.

ISL from 9513 to N5K uses F ports on 9513 and NP ports on N5K
ISL from N5K to 9124e uses NP ports on N5K and F ports on 9124e
Ports from 9124e to FlexFabric are F port

The problem is that I don't see the 9124e in the fabric (it has disappeared from DCNM).
Do I need to enable NPV on the 9124e? And in this case, which port mode should I use?

I also have a problem: the MDS-9124e has disappeared from DCNM, and it's not seen by the fabric, while the N5K is there, with a dashed line (meaning NP link).

Thanks

18 Replies 18

why is cascaded NPV not supported, do you have supporting documentation ?

@dynamoxxx

Cisco internal source (I am a 17 years retired Cisco DSE veteran) ! could not find any document.

Be aware, that there are limitations on the number of fdisc/flogi sessions supported on a NPIV switch (e..g. MDS). By cascading NPV systems, you will reach this limit most likely much earlier, and what about oversubscription ?

Are you saying nested NPV is not supported period or only certain configuration/switches/hosts/topology are supported ?

@dynamoxxx

Cascading multiple NPV boxes (MDS, N5k) connected to a NPIV box (MDS, N5k, Brocade,......) is not supported.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card