Views
Helpful
Replies

vfc Error disabled

Per Tenggren
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a problem connecting a CNA (Qlogic 8152) to a Nexus 5010, the network part is working goot but not the FCoE.

What I have noticed is that the vfc is down (Error disabled), the DCBX works any how:

Nex1# sh system internal dcbx info interface ethernet 1/16

Interface info for if_index: 0x1a00f000(Eth1/16)
tx_enabled: TRUE
rx_enabled: TRUE
dcbx_enabled: TRUE
DCX Protocol: CEE

This is the port configuration:

interface port-channel16

switchport mode trunk

vpc 16

switchport trunk native vlan 501

switchport trunk allowed vlan 501,810

spanning-tree port type edge

flowcontrol receive on

flowcontrol send on

interface Ethernet1/16

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan 501

switchport trunk allowed vlan 501,810

spanning-tree port type edge

flowcontrol receive on

flowcontrol send on

channel-group 16 mode active

Any ideas what can be the problem? I have seen that if change "channel-group 16 mode active" to "channel-group 16 mode on" the interface goes up but the network connectivity is lost...

Br

Per

4 Replies 4

Per Tenggren
Level 1
Level 1

I changed the NIC-teaming from LACP to static and now it works.

whe you have LACP/active set at switch level , why do you set the NIC-teaming(hos side?) to static?

I had to disable LACP on the switch to get the vfc to work, that's why I also had to change the NIC-teaming to static.

Conclusion, vfc and LACP is a non-working combination....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/operations/n5k_fcoe_ops.html#wp1080158

--snip--

LACP and FCoE To The Host

Today, when deploying FCoE over a host-facing vPC, the vFC interface is  bound to the port channel interfaces associated with the vPC.  This  requires that the port channel interface be up and forwarding before  FCoE traffic can be switched.  Cisco recommends when running vPC in an  Ethernet environment is to use LACP in order to negotiate the parameters  on both sides of the port channel to ensure that configurations between  both sides is consistent.

However, if there are inconsistencies in any of the Ethernet  configuration parameters LACP uses to bring up the port channel  interface, both sides of the virtual port channel will remain down.   This means that FCoE traffic from the host is now dependent on the  correct configuration on the LAN/Ethernet side.  When this dependency  occurs, Cisco recommends that you use the static port channel  configuration (channel-group # mode on) when deploying vPC and FCoE to  the same host.

--snip--

I'm guessing there's something about the way your CNA / host is handling LACP that caused some kind of mismatch. A packet trace may give a clue. Did you try 'mode passive' as well?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: