cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSAN WWN

Eranbrown
Level 1
Level 1

For a script I'm building, I need the host to be able to detect if its 2 initiators are connected to the same switch or not. I'm using the switch's WWNN to do that.

Due to a security limitation - the script can't directly query the switch and has to deduce this from the data provided by the switch during login.

My concern is around VSANs, 2 ports in 2 different VSANs are not in the same switch (from the host's perspective).

When creating a new VSAN - does the switch automatically assign the VSAN a new WWNN (I know you can create them using "wwn vsan", I'm asking about the default behavior.

Thanks !!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reg. your initial question:

- yes, if you create a new VSAN, a new switch wwn will automatically be created.

- yes, the domain-id per vsan is independent of any ISL. The only requirement in a fabric is the uniqueness of domain-id's per VSAN.

I would configure static domain id's for every vsan and switch; then you can build a table, which domain id belongs to which physical switch.

You script on the host would then use this table, and can make the proper decision.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter Dey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why don't you rely on the result of the flogi: the most significant byte of the FC-ID is the domain id, which is a unique identification of the switch.

Thanks for your answer Wdey !

My problem is that (as I understand it) the 2 switches will have different WWNs (and different domain IDs) regardless of whether they are connected with an ISL or not

What I am looking for is to be able to know if the 2 ports are part of the same fabric or not...

Any ideas ?

Reg. your initial question:

- yes, if you create a new VSAN, a new switch wwn will automatically be created.

- yes, the domain-id per vsan is independent of any ISL. The only requirement in a fabric is the uniqueness of domain-id's per VSAN.

I would configure static domain id's for every vsan and switch; then you can build a table, which domain id belongs to which physical switch.

You script on the host would then use this table, and can make the proper decision.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: