cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

zone merge between two MDS switches having the same zoneset name

sandevsingh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a requirement to perform a zone-merge on two MDS switches. Both have the same zoneset name in vsan200 - Zoneset1. In Switch1 Zoneset1 has 10 zones and in switch2 Zoneset1 has 12 zones. The merge-control setting is set to "restrict".  I am wondering what will happen?? I dont have lab to replicate this. 

2 Replies 2

jung_swen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

The merge behavior will depend on the fabric-wide merge control setting:

• Restrict: If the two databases are not identical, the ISLs between the switches are isolated.

For more detailed information, please refer to the MDS 9000 Series Fabric Configuration Guide, chapter "Configuring and Managing Zones" > "Merging the Database".

Best regards,

Swen

eappiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Your zones will not be able to merge since restriction is setting. With merge-control restriction set the zones for your vsan will have to be exactly identical. Since this is not the case for your switches, merge will not complete. 

To allow switches will different zones to merge for a vsan, you will have to remove the merge-control restriction. Each switch will share the zones it has with the other.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/san_switching/configuration/guide/b_Cisco_Nexus_7000_NX-OS_SAN_Switching_Configuration_Guide/Cisco_Nexus_7000_NX-OS_SAN_Switching_Configuration_Guide_chapter6.html#task_1755143

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card