Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on SG300's

swoodley1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help. Only just started with looking at the Cisco switches, so apologies for my ignorance..

I have been tasked with setting up our voice network after we had issues with call quality and the lines dropping. Which turned out to be the firewall, rather than have the voice traffic going through the firewall and as we have a few spare F5 appliances the voip traffic is now using an F5 appliance as the default gateway.

We have 2 SG300 28port switches, we use cisco SPA525G voip phones with the PC's using the switch port on the phone for network connection.

The voice will be on a 192.168.111.x/24 network (VLAN 1100) while the PC's will be on a 192.168.11.x/24 network (VLAN 11).

Within the small lab under my desk I have the 1 switch configured as layer 2, and using auto smart ports to determine the VLAN's. The SG300 is configured to provide DHCP addresses for the voice vlan, while the PC's get the DHCP from the 11 range.

I have also removed the default VLAN of 1 so the switch only has the two vlan's of 11 and 1100. 

Switch is on the latest version 1.4.1.3. 

We don't need inter VLAN routing, the only time we would need to get from the 11 to 1100 range would be to provision the voip phones which I can create a rule on the firewall to allow. 

Went down the smart port route as I didn't want to manually configure the VLAN's on the phones.

This is all working perfectly on my test with a single SG300, what I need to do in production is to have both switches configured (I can't test with both since the other cisco switch is being used). 

So question is, what is the best way to get both switches connected to each other so the config from my test switch applies to the other switch (minus the DHCP). So that when a phone is attached to the 2nd switch the smart port is applied and gets the IP Address from the DHCP on the 1st switch?

I have reserved ports:

27 (default gateway for voip) > F5

28 (default gateway for pc's) > Firewall

on the 1st switch. 

Will also require to have a port on one of the switches connected to a HP switch within the 11 VLAN (untagged).

Many thanks for any help/advice.

Steve

0 Replies 0