Views
Helpful
Replies

Can anyone tell me the difference between the SLM2008 and the SLM2008T-NA

John111650
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can provide a little insight as to the difference between the SLM2008 and the SLM2008T-NA.

If the SLM2008 and SLM2008T-NA are basically the same switch and I’m assuming they use the same documentation for both of then why don’t they use the same Firmware?

Why’s the SLM2008 considered Unmanaged and the SLM2008T-NA considered Managed since based on the documentation they both have/provide pretty much the functionality?

The reason I'm asking is as follows:

I just bought a new SLM2008T-NA switch primarily because I wanted some management/control without going to a full blown Managed Switch. I read all the documents then connected the switch and logged in as cisco. Then click on the System Summery link which provided the following information.

Firmware Version: 1.0.0.14
Firmware MD5 Checksum: f2ea336f176779fb58aea9d57fe7dd28

Like I do with all new hardware I searched the Internet to make sure I have the latest recommended Firmware/Software along with any and all Documentation updates. Needless to say the Cisco link for someone new to switches is like find a grain of salt in a pepper jar but I finally found a link for the SLM2008 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch (so I thought) and downloaded the updated firmware.

The first link I found for the Firmware download which is below provided a link to download SLM2008v2.0.0.10.wrp; so I downloaded the update but when I tried to apply the update via the web switch access I received a message that the update failed because it was the wrong file type.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282414081&flowid=3666&softwareid=282463182&release=2.0.0.10&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

So I went back out to Cisco's website and this time I found a link to a different download at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=283454003&flowid=24421&softwareid=282463182&release=1.0.0.16&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Which the above link provided a link to download “SG200-08x_FW_1.0.0.16.stk”; so since my version was 1.0.0.14 I went ahead and applied the update and I assumed that this is the right update because this time the update completed successfully and the switch is still working after a reboot.

Thanks in advance to any and all replies.

6 Replies 6

fwofford
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Smith,

There really isn't a major difference between the two switches. We have different version models because, when a device has been available to the public for some time we get feed back on some of the issues or concerns that customers have about devices after they have been in operation. We try and correct those issues and concerns with updated firmware. For your situation we may even role out a different model version that has corrected some of those issues and concerns as well as an operational feature that may have been tweaked for better performance reason. I haven't had the pleasure to test the particular device that you have purchased to the older version model. I will try and locate some documentation that will provide for you the definitive advantages that it has over the older model version. For future references anytime you download firmware for any of our small business devices make sure you are getting the correct version number as well as the device model number, for example , we have a router which is model no. WRVS4400n. We have two versions of this device. WRVS4400n V1 and WRVS4400n V2. from our websight you will see firmware for both model versions when you do the search. One advantages that the V2 has over the V1 is that supports multiple SSID's meaning that I can create up to 4 wireless connections from this one device and isolate the traffic. On a V1 you are only able to create 1 wireless connection. this is just an example I know this doesn't help your situation, however as I said I will try and locate some documentation for your device and give you the true advantages it has over the older version model.

Fredrick A Wofford

Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support

mpyhala
Level 7
Level 7

Hi John,

Thank you for posting. I believe that the T at the end of the SKU designates that the switch is part of the new SG-200 product line, which replaces the SLM switches. For instance the internal SKU SLM2008T is marketed as a SG 200-08 and the SLM2024T is actually an SG 200-26. The new SG 200 series have different hardware and firmware than their SLM predecessors.

BOMIAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi John,

I was looking in to buying this switch also because I don't want to go to a full Managed Switch.  But anyways, I have a question that hopefully you can answer because you already own the switch and it seems that no one can give me a straight answer, but I need to know if a port or ports can be manually set to run at Half or Full Duplex?  I was looking at the data sheet and all it says in the port specification section is Auto-sensing/manual setting, so does that mean I can actually program the ports to run at Full-Duplex.  This is the only thing I need this switch to do at this time and unmanaged switches don't have that ability, so if you or anyone else could please answer this question for me I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for posting. The following is a quote from the Admin Guide for the Sx200 (SLM) series switches:

"Administrative Duplex Mode

—If Auto Negotiation is disabled, select Half for half-duplex or Full for full-duplex operation."

It's really strange that you can't see full specs for the new models on cisco's website.  I did get some specs by doing a comparison view.

Anyway, to add to your question, I'd like to know if the new model SG 200-08T (SLM2008T) still has the PD port for powering via PoE.  This was a feature of the old SLM2008 and SLM2005 switches that makes it possible to maintain my entire network off one UPS at the rack - if the PoE switch stays up so do the PoE devices.

Yes the SLM2008T still has the PD port for powering via PoE on g1 only.