cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS 350 IPv6 with external DHCP RA issue

bigops
Level 1
Level 1

I have setup where an SBS 350 is acting as a Layer 3 interface for the network VLANS.  All interfaces are configured with an IPv6 address and the setup has an external DHCP sever assigning leases and providing the DNS information.   I do not use Auto Configuration due to security requirements.  The DHCP server provides IPv6 address correctly to the clients, but clients do not get a Gateway information.  It is understood that the gateway information has to be provided by the Router (in this case the SBS 350).  But the issue is that the client never receives the correct router information and the default gateway is set to the link local interface of the SBS 350 instead of the expected vlan interface address.  Where are am I going wrong here? 

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Is the DHCP server configured to provide the gateway address too ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

In IPv6 my understanding is that the DHCP server cannot  provide Gateway info.  This has to be through RA which in this case is the 350 Switch.  The original draft for having the DHCP server provide the gateway info did not go anywhere https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-droms-dhc-dhcpv6-default-router-00

Thanks