Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350-12XS inaccessible after Firmware update

I had two CBS350-12XS stacked when I performed a firmware update. After rebooting I was unable to get to the WebGUI or through the CLI console port. They will reboot when the reset switch is pressed and seem to recognize the long press to reset the firmware but that does not resolve the issue. The lights are lit and blinking.

For all intents and purposes, they are bricked. I've searched the documentation but haven't found anything mentioning a way to recover from a bad firmware update. And after looking up their warranty they don't have one even though they are only 2 months old.  Called support and they confirmed the warranty expired? (They were back-ordered and are now only two months old.)

Any suggested recovery methods are appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

After a lot of digging and not knowing the proper terms to search, I eventually came to the below solution.

If you upgraded the firmware and the web GUI will no longer pull up. 

What to check first:
  1. Is the ethernet port on the computer set to 192.168.1.254 with a subnet of 255.255.255.90. If so, change the .254 to something lower that is not presently in use. The switch uses .254 for the web GUI. 
    1. Was the issue resolved?
      1. Yes. Congrats!
      2. No? Proceed to the next section.
You may have loaded a CLI-only firmware. This firmware can only be modified via the Console Port on the back of the switch. Using a text-only Command Line Interface or CLI.

Note: There is a CLI reference manual. Called CBS-350-cli or CLI_CBS_350 see attached.

Steps to fix:
  1. Grab a Console cable, either USB-A to RJ-45 or USB-C to RJ-45.
  2. Plug the RJ45 connector into the console port on the back of the switch.
  3. On windows, use the application Putty to connect to the switch with the following settings:
    1. Choose the Radial button for Serial
    2. Go to Device Manager and check what COM# is for the console cable you plugged in. For instance, COM4, enter that information on the Serial Line field.
    3. Enter a baud rate of 115200.
    4. Click Open Connection.
    5. When the black window opens, hit return twice for the login prompt to appear. (If you do not hit return twice, it will never load.)
    6. Sign in with your credentials or with the defaults of:
      1. user: cisco
      2. pass: cisco
    7. At the prompt, use this command: boot system inactive-image
    8. Hit return to enter the command, then type: reload
    9. Hit return to enter the command.
    10. Accept the following three prompts with Y on each for the system to reboot.
    11. Try the Web GUI again. It should load.
    12. When the GUI loads, log in and go to firmware operations.
    13. Backup the current firmware
    14. Using the backed up firmware, update the firmware; this will overwrite the inactive firmware, not the current booted image fixing the original issue of updating to the GUI less image.

Another method to fix the issue is from the console port to reboot the switch by typing: reload.

As it is reloading, pay close attention to the boring sequence when you see "Autoboot in 2 seconds."

Press the ESC key, and a Startup Menu will load select option [1] Image Menu, then choose swap and reload the system. 

You should be back to the original firmware that contained the GUI.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What is the color of the blinking lights ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Green.

Martin Aleksandrov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

You can send serial numbers on PM to see what we can do.

Thanks

I've sent you the SNs via PM.

soundwavz
Level 1
Level 1

I have similar problem, brand new out of the box, not able to access the GUI or CLI for the unit default IP. Good link lights and does respond to the reset. Doesn't even ping at the default IP or get a DHCP address.

After a lot of digging and not knowing the proper terms to search, I eventually came to the below solution.

If you upgraded the firmware and the web GUI will no longer pull up. 

What to check first:
  1. Is the ethernet port on the computer set to 192.168.1.254 with a subnet of 255.255.255.90. If so, change the .254 to something lower that is not presently in use. The switch uses .254 for the web GUI. 
    1. Was the issue resolved?
      1. Yes. Congrats!
      2. No? Proceed to the next section.
You may have loaded a CLI-only firmware. This firmware can only be modified via the Console Port on the back of the switch. Using a text-only Command Line Interface or CLI.

Note: There is a CLI reference manual. Called CBS-350-cli or CLI_CBS_350 see attached.

Steps to fix:
  1. Grab a Console cable, either USB-A to RJ-45 or USB-C to RJ-45.
  2. Plug the RJ45 connector into the console port on the back of the switch.
  3. On windows, use the application Putty to connect to the switch with the following settings:
    1. Choose the Radial button for Serial
    2. Go to Device Manager and check what COM# is for the console cable you plugged in. For instance, COM4, enter that information on the Serial Line field.
    3. Enter a baud rate of 115200.
    4. Click Open Connection.
    5. When the black window opens, hit return twice for the login prompt to appear. (If you do not hit return twice, it will never load.)
    6. Sign in with your credentials or with the defaults of:
      1. user: cisco
      2. pass: cisco
    7. At the prompt, use this command: boot system inactive-image
    8. Hit return to enter the command, then type: reload
    9. Hit return to enter the command.
    10. Accept the following three prompts with Y on each for the system to reboot.
    11. Try the Web GUI again. It should load.
    12. When the GUI loads, log in and go to firmware operations.
    13. Backup the current firmware
    14. Using the backed up firmware, update the firmware; this will overwrite the inactive firmware, not the current booted image fixing the original issue of updating to the GUI less image.

Another method to fix the issue is from the console port to reboot the switch by typing: reload.

As it is reloading, pay close attention to the boring sequence when you see "Autoboot in 2 seconds."

Press the ESC key, and a Startup Menu will load select option [1] Image Menu, then choose swap and reload the system. 

You should be back to the original firmware that contained the GUI.