Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting LG TV with Cisco CBS250

TomZehavi4
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to connect my LG TV to the internet via my Cisco switch. Both the TV and and switch are newly-bought products.

The LG TV is able to connect to the internet via a router which is connected to the same switch, but is NOT able to connect to the internet via the switch directly.

The router is connected to the internet via the same switch, and I tested both ports in the wall which both go directly to the switch (I mean to say that the issue is not with the CAT cables or with the wall ports).

Something in the switch itself prevents internet access to the TV when it is connected directly - but not when via the router.

Please suggest.

Thank you!

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Do you have sufficient vlan  (assignment) and routing setup on the CBS250 , you may try  testing internet connectivity from the CBS250 , by connecting a laptop to it and test internet access (for instance) , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hey @marce1000 , thanks for the reply.

I know for a fact that there is internet connection to the switch, because the router (which is connected through the switch) gets access and I a able to use WiFi.

Is that ok that I connected the devices “backwards”?

Meaning: ISP -> switch -> router, instead of ISP -> router -> switch.

My intention was to allow a bunch of clients to connect physically to the switch directly and to outbound, instead of having to go through the router in addition, and the router itself will be used mostly as an AP (without having need to connect any of its Ethernet LAN ports).

Does that make sense…? Or is it wiser to connect the router first and then the switch? Then again, this is all seemingly unrelated to the initial issue with the LG TV connection. For that I’d probably have to check the Cisco Dashboard, as @Colsen899 has suggested.

Thank you!

>...I know for a fact that there is internet connection to the switch, because the router (which is connected through the switch) gets access and I a able to use WiFi.
            - That's not a sufficient answer for the LG TV , the laptop test is quick and can be done  easily , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I don’t have a laptop with an Ethernet port available to me right now, but I will have a solution in the next few days.

After I test, and depending on the result (laptop is able/isn’t able to connect to the internet via the switch) - what should I do next?

Thank you again for your help!

I have switched (pun intended) between the router and the Cisco, which resolved the issue entirely.

Thanks a lot for the help and support!

Happy new year

Colsen899
Level 1
Level 1

It's crucial to ensure your CBS250 has proper VLAN assignment and routing set up. Testing internet connectivity with a laptop connected to it is a smart move hope it all goes smoothly for you!