cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Impossible to obtain warranty replacement due to interminable chat delays?

tls000001
Level 1
Level 1

I have an SG300-10MP which has suddenly shut itself off and won't switch back on -- I even tested with another power supply from an identical, working unit.  All lights on the unit turn on for about 1/10 second when it's first plugged in, then everything goes dark and stays that way.

This product supposedly has a Limited Lifetime Warranty with Advance Replacement.  However, it appears there is no way to submit a warranty claim by web or email; the phone lines keep me on hold for well over 1/2 hour; and when I dig out a copy of Firefox to use the online chat (it does not work in Chrome or Safari) I get the message "A Cisco Support Engineer will join as soon as available."  

Of course that engineer never appears -- this latest time I've been waiting 15 minutes with no further feedback.  Compare and contrast to other vendors' online chat support (Dell or Amazon are good examples) where the support reps show up within 30 seconds and the transaction is typically complete in 5 minutes or less even if a supervisor is needed.

Is Cisco trying to reduce the number of warranty claims it has to honor by trying to keep customers on hold until they go away?  How do I actually obtain the warranty replacement to which I am entitled?

The SG series switches seem like great products -- I've bought about a dozen and highly recommended them to others -- but this kind of support experience is pushing me back towards Dell or HP, who actually seem interested in honoring their products' warranties.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi tls000001,

Thank you for writing this post and my apologies for your initial phone and online chat experience.

I will be escalating this to our management so that they can investigate and make appropriate improvements.

Best regards,

Cindy Toy
eSupport Cisco Small Business
Support Community: http://cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
Twitter: @CiscoSBsupport
Twitter: @CiscoSmallBiz
Facebook: CiscoSmallBusiness
YouTube: Small Business
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/ciscosmallbiz
Instagram: @CiscoSmallBiz
LinkedIn: Cisco Small Business
Google+: Google+

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

tls000001
Level 1
Level 1

While I was on hold on the phone waiting for a a representative (again) I was finally connected in a second chat session.

Unfortunately, the representative to whom I was connected ("Savneet Virk") clearly had not read the summary of my problem which I had typed in in order to start the chat.  When I asked him to do so, he disappeared for over 2 minutes -- absurd given the 200-character limit for the problem summaries, who needs 2 minutes to read 200 characters -- then asked a series of questions which clearly revealed that he could not understand the simple English of the problem statement.

I repeatedly asked him to connect me to a supervisor.  He repeatedly ignored these requests.  After I asked for the third time, he disappeared for about a minute, then said that he could not verify the warranty status of my unit's serial number (absurd again, it is the exact serial number printed on the sticker on the back of the unit) and then immediately closed the chat session.

What am I supposed to do in order to obtain the service Cisco is required to provide me under the warranty on this product?

I called back on the phone one more time.  The experience was suddenly far better!  In under a minute I had a first rep on the phone, and just a few minutes after that I was speaking with an engineer ("Tori").  She quickly verified the warranty status of my product and scheduled an overnight replacement.

That's how the support experience should be!  It was like talking to Cisco again, after the awful subterranean mess of the long phone holds, chat delays, and chat support rep who didn't or couldn't actually read anything I told him.

Kudos to Tori to whom I finally spoke on the phone.  Bummer the rest of the support experience was so unacceptable.  After almost 3 decades of impeccable support experiences, both personally, at my employers, and on behalf of clients, Cisco nearly burned a major bridge with me on this one.

There just isn't anything Cisco makes any more, whether at the highest high end or the lowest low end, that can't be bought elsewhere.  Negative support experiences like the one I had today -- even on the low-end products -- damage brand image and lead customers to shop elsewhere.  Cisco should keep this in mind and strive to do better.

Hi tls000001,

Thank you for writing this post and my apologies for your initial phone and online chat experience.

I will be escalating this to our management so that they can investigate and make appropriate improvements.

Best regards,

Cindy Toy
eSupport Cisco Small Business
Support Community: http://cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
Twitter: @CiscoSBsupport
Twitter: @CiscoSmallBiz
Facebook: CiscoSmallBusiness
YouTube: Small Business
Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/ciscosmallbiz
Instagram: @CiscoSmallBiz
LinkedIn: Cisco Small Business
Google+: Google+

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!