Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Missing MAC, No PING even with Static MAC

I have my 5 branch offices connect to my main office using NLAN. Each branch office has a 50M connection to our provider, and connects to our main office on its 250M connection.

For simplicity, I will only include 2 branch offices - one that works and one that doesn't:

1. Main office in HOUSTON, CISCO 2960-S

2. Branch office in DALLAS, CISCO SG200-26

3. Branch office in FORT WORTH, CISCO SG200-26  <- THE PROBLEM

From my PC at the main office in Houston, I can PING both remote switches, and they both show up in my PC's ARP table.

From my SWITCH at the main office in Houston, I can only PING the DALLAS switch.

If I clear the ARP table and MAC address table on the Houston switch, the SH CDP NEI will show both remote switches with their MAC addresses, and the MAC address table will show them too. However, the ARP table will initially show "INCOMPLETE", and then after a while show the MAC address.

Since I can PING the SWITCH in Fort Worth from my PC, I can also get to the configuration using a browser, and the MAC address for my Houston switch never populates on this switch. I have even tried creating a static MAC and a static ARP for its MAC and IP, but I am still not able to PING to switch in the other end.

The provider states that everything is clear on their end, however, the switch in Fort Worth is new, as I thought it might have been a problem with the old switch, and the switch in Houston, "talks" fine with the other 4 branch offices connected to the same port.

Only other thing I can tell you at this point, is that the switch in Fort Worth does NOT show a ROOT PORT at all, but I don't know if STP could have anything to do with this, as it talks just fine with my PC down here in Houston.

Any suggestions or comments are most welcome.

Thanks!

0 Replies 0