Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-52P Power Fault

Hi,

I am looking for a bit troubleshooting a weird (to me at least) issue.

I have a SG300-52P which is fairly new. It is used mostly with non-PoE devices but also has two phones plugged in that draw their power from the switch. Both have been working fine for the few weeks that the switch has been in place and have developed an issue recently where they simply don't power up.

Here's what I think is the relevant information (showing one port, to keep it simple; the other shows the same symptoms):

on the switch itself:

switch#sh system
System Description:                       SG300-52MP 52-Port Gigabit Max-PoE Managed Switch
System Up Time (days,hour:min:sec):       00,00:57:33
System Contact:                           ***
System Name:                              ***
System Location:                          
System MAC Address:                       70:6b:b9:***
System Object ID:                         1.3.6.1.4.1.9.6.1.83.52.3

Fans Status:                              OK

Unit            Temperature (Celsius)            Status          
------------------------ ------------------------ ------------------------ 
           1                        45                       OK            

switch#sh ver
SW version    1.4.0.88 ( date  06-Aug-2014 time  16:55:55 )
Boot version    1.3.5.06 ( date  21-Jul-2013 time  15:12:10 )
HW version    V04
switch#

and on the port specifically:

switch#sh power inline GigabitEthernet 41

Port      Powered Device         State          Status    Priority   Class   
-------- -------------------- ---------------- ------------ -------- --------- 
  gi41                              Auto          Fault       low     class2   

Time range:
Power limit: 30.0  W
Inrush Test: Enable
Legacy Mode: Enable

Port Status:               Port is off - detection is in process
Overload Counter:          0 
Short Counter:             0 
Denied Counter:            0 
Absent Counter:            0 
Invalid Signature Counter: 0 
switch#sh cable-diagnostics tdr interface GE 41

Port       Result    Length [meters]             Date            
----------- ----------- ---------------- -------------------------- 
   gi41         OK                                                  

switch#

That indicates to me that the cabling is not the issue but for some reason the switch cannot negotiate with the device and supply power. I know that the device is not the issue either as it comes on if I plug it e.g. in one of the PoE port of my ASA-5505... so by elimination it has to be switch-related!

I have rebooted the switch to rule that out - it made no difference. I have also tried about half a dozen ports and have the same issue on all, so would be surprised if it was a faulty port.

But I have unfortunately pretty much run out of troubleshooting tests to figure out what the issue is - does someone have a suggestion at all?

4 Replies 4

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Are you aware if this issue occurs on all ports of the switch? If not, would you mind testing on a few different ports (ideally not next to each other)?

If the issue occurs on all ports, please upgrade the firmware on your switch to the latest 1.4.8.6 and perform a factory reset (make sure to create a backup of your configuration).

If the issue is still not resolved you may be facing a hardware issue so I'd suggest to contact me or our support centre for further assistance so we can open a service request for you.

Thanks,

Kris

Thanks for the reply, Kris.

Switch is currently in use so I can’t easily test all ports but have tested 37-41 and 12-17 - all display the same symptoms.
As it is in use, scheduling the firmware upgrade is as much trouble from my point of view as organising a replacement; is there a known bug matching these symptoms that may be fixed by the upgrade, or is it pretty much a given that there is an issue with the inline-power hardware?

Kind regards,

sames-uwsc
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into a similar problem with a single device in my environment.  It ended up being a bad punch in the wall jack at the persons desk rather than external cabling.  I read that you have tested using a PoE port on your ASA-5505, when you tested did you happen to move the phone in with the ASA or did you just reroute the cable in the closet?  If you moved the phone it might be a good idea to check the wall port.

Sorry, should have made it clearer: ASA and switch are in the same cab and I tested by moving the patch, not the phone, so cabling is definitely not the culprit, unfortunately!