Views
Helpful
Replies

SG350 - interconnecting VLANs

LukasD
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I wonder if you could advise. I'm running a test rig, before adding more vlans and more hosts. I will need some of the devices to be able to communicate between the VLANs. I was under impression I can achieve that easily with a L3 switch such as SG350. At the moment I have got 2 VLANs only, I've assigned an IP address to both VLAN interfaces, I've attached one host to each VLAN and configured their gateways as VLAN IP address.

I can ping default gateway from both hosts, but that's all. I can't ping host in VLAN2 from the host in VLAN1 and opossite. I also can't ping VLAN2 gateway from VLAN1 host. I can ping those hosts while using switch's built-in ping tool, and that's regardless which VLAN interface I select as a transmitter. What am I missing? It should be simple, right? Running config attached

7 Replies 7

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

have you enabled as layer 3?

see attachment

regards, mk

please rate if helful or solved :)

There is no L2 / L3 option on the new SG350 and SG550 any more, at least that's what I found out while browsing this forum. They are L3 out of the box (in theory)

i only work with IOS switches - can you check if the switch can see the routes as connected?

does it have an equivalent of sh ip route?

regards, mk

switchfaed25#show ip route
Maximum Parallel Paths: 1 (1 after reset)
IP Forwarding: enabled
Codes: > - best, C - connected, S - static

C   10.100.0.0/23 is directly connected, vlan 1
C   10.100.2.0/23 is directly connected, vlan 2

Worth checking:

Your pc ports are created as access ports & assigned to correct vlans?

IP addresses & subnet masks are correct on PCs?

Regards, mk

I've double-checked everything, all the ports are in access mode, correctly assigned. Also, while on the switch, I can select VLAN1 interface and ping host2, which is on VLAN2 (see the screenshot). While on host 1, I can't ping neither VLAN2 nor host2 IP address from host1

ping host 2.PNG

sorry lukas, i dont know much more about those switches.

hopefully someone who works them can jump in.

regards, mk