cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10GBASE X2 Module Flexibility with other devices

nautaliss
Level 1
Level 1

Can the 10GBASE X2 Modules be used to connect to other devices such as storage appliances? It looks like 10GBASE X2 is used exclusively for uplinks. I would like to connect a storage appliance from its 10G port to a Cisco X2 port.

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

X2 was an early generation of 10Gbe connector.  It has been well and truly replaced by SFP+ now.

You can connect to anything else with an X2 connector (not just uplinks) - but hardly anything uses X2 these days.

Thank you very much. I now know the direction I need to look.

If you think the response has helpful it would be great if you could rate the answer.

For a follow up question, can SFP+ communicate with other devices rather than just uplinks? Say, could I connect an Intel X520 network adapter in a storage appliance to a SFP+ port in something like a 4500-X switch? Sorry if these questions seem simple. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it.

Say, could I connect an Intel X520 network adapter in a storage appliance to a SFP+ port in something like a 4500-X switch?

Sure, you can connect any 10Gig link (storage, server, switch, router, etc...) to the 4500x.

Also, the ports on the 4500x are 1/10Gig, meaning if you use a SFP optic you can connect a 1gig device to the switch or if you use SFP+ optic you can use a 10gig device to the switch

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card