Views
Helpful
Replies

24port Or 48Port POE switches suggestions for new wireless setup

Chitra David
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

My predecessor had installed 2XCISCO 3750 switches 24 port (implemented LACP on these core switches), we have 4 Comms cabinet on different floors up-linked through fibre to the core cisco switch and all the 4 cabinets have a mixture of D-link, HP switches.

We are going to install a new wireless solution and the vendor has suggested buying 4 POE switches 
I am thinking of removing the edge switches (that includes D-link, HP) and gradually replacing with Cisco switches so that I can run proprietary STP versions like Cisco's PVSTand also I can have a single switch vendor environment.

To start with I will be replacing the current D-Link POEs with Cisco POE switch.

Firstly: On each rack these are 100 of LAN Data and for wireless 10-18 POE ports required. So what is the cost effective way. I donā€™t want to waste any ports and It is a good idea to have a 24\48 port cisco switch.

Secondly: Does these POE Switch need to be a gigabit?

Any suggestions would be grateful

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your call.  The APs nowadays are 802.11ac wave 1 compliant.  What's the speed of 802.11ac wave 1?  Now that's only ONE (1) AP.  

Now do the math.  Try pushing 300 Mbps data (802.11n) down a 100 Mbps link.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your call.  The APs nowadays are 802.11ac wave 1 compliant.  What's the speed of 802.11ac wave 1?  Now that's only ONE (1) AP.  

Now do the math.  Try pushing 300 Mbps data (802.11n) down a 100 Mbps link.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card