Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-X series switch problems after upgrade

kashifglobal12
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Concern,

I am getting error after upgrading the 2960-x series stack switch. 

ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: This Switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization. This product may contain software that was copied in violation of Cisco's license terms. If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue, Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet. Please contact Cisco's Technical Assistance Center for more information.

I have looked every discussion on this community and did not find any answer or solution to this problem. Kindly help in this regard.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if this thread contains useful hints for you :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/ilet-1-authentication-fail-on-2960x-after-ios-update/td-p/3682974

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Raise a Cisco TAC Case and organize for an RMA.
It could be CSCur56395.

ashesnice
Level 1
Level 1

Actually, the problem is as follows: after updating the stack (4 switches) WS-C2960X-48LPD-L from the working, but very old c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX1.bin, to version c2960x-universalk9-mz.152- 7.E1.bin I got a lot of problems ... Namely:
1. The stack of four switches did not return to normal operation;
2. Two switches stopped seeing the stack of modules;
3. One switch lost licensing and after a successful license recovery continues to report an error in the logs: "% ILET-1-AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: This Switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisco's authorization. This product may contain software that was copied in violation of Cisco's license terms .... ". Also at the boot stage of this switch is present: "POST: ACT2 Authentication: Begin
extracting front_end / front_end_ucode_info (43 bytes) "

How I upgraded to version c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E1.bin: I have a few more stacks from the WS-C2960X-48LPD-L switches. I pre-selected one stack with the least number of hosts, uploaded the firmware over the network to flash1 and flash2, checked the md5 hashes and sent the stack at night to update. The stack accepted firmware c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E1.bin without problems and showed normal loading and working capacity for 12-14 days. Later, I distributed the firmware c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-7.E1.bin to another 2 stacks (WS-C2960X-48LPD-L) and it still went without problems. After making sure that everything is fine, I downloaded the firmware onto the stack of 4 WS-C2960X-48LPD-L switches, checked the firmware hashes on each md5 flash memory, rebooted the stack and got the problems described above.

What I tried to do in this situation with the switch that lost the license still does not work and is lit with the orange SYST diode:
1. Removed the stacking module and started the switch;
2. Turn off completely the power for this switch for several hours;
3. Formatted the flash of the switch and downgraded the firmware version to c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-2.E6.bin and to c2960x-universalk9-mz.150-2.EX1.bin;
4. I tried to run it with firmware on usbflash;
None of the above actions return the switch to normal operation ... I understand that the problem is most likely hardware (maybe SmartChip), but maybe there are still ways to bring the switch back to life? And I'm not even talking about restoring the entire stack.

Raise a TAC Case.
This issue is very well known to the 6840 and the 2960X.
The only way to "fix" this is to RMA the appliance.

Thanks for your reply

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card