Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-X Stack member stuck at "BOOT FAIL" when reloading

sosokuprashvili
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We just got three 2960-X switches (WS-C2960X-48TD-L) connected with stack cables. When all three are powered off and I power them on they boot as usual and stack forms nicely. But if i enter "reload" command only two switches reload and then reform stack, one (it's always the same switch) starts reloading and is stuck and prints "BOOT FAIL" message. If I power off and on that switch then it boots and becomes stack member.

I believe everything is same for 3 of them. Only difference is in show version output the switch having problems prints different VERSION ID.

updated OS to 15.2(2)E3

Also when the switch isn't a member of stack there is no problem reloading with "reload" command. The problem exists only when in stack.

Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you may have hit a bug , could have just triggered on that switch , what version of ios are you running ?

C2960X-UNIVERSALK9-M

Version 15.0(2)EX5

BOOTLDR: C2960X Boot Loader (C2960X-HBOOT-M) Version 15.2(2r)E1

Your on a known image that has issues and its an EX release when possible you should avoid them

The recommended image for that platform is the safe harbour version15.2.2E3(MD)  

here is your release notes for that current version , quite a few bugs that cause reload , do a ctrl F to find and search by reload see if any match your issue exactly

If not I would still look at a mosre stable image like the MD version , if that does not fix it maybe a hardware problem but it sounds like software from how you explained it

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-0_2_EX/release_notes/OL30810.html

Just tried. Upgraded IOS to 15.2.2E3(MD). Same problem exists. When I enter "reload" command two switches reload normally and one switch says BOOT FAIL with SYST blue light and STAT SPEED and STACK blinking orange. When i power off and on manually that switch everything goes normal. Switch boots and becomes member of the stack.

that's strange , are you seeing anything in logs in general that may indicate issue with it

does the show switch detail look ok

and does the show switch stack-ring show each switch sending frames

Did you try reseating the stack cables in case something not right at the back

no I don't see anything suspicious in logs

show switch detail seems OK, everyone sees everyone and stack works. Traffic is forwarded without any problem.

I resat stack cable several times, nothing changes.

show switch stack-ring activity doesn't print anything.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card