cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960s and 2960x Coexist Different Revisions

A.J. Tobia
Level 1
Level 1

I know you can stack 2960s and 2960X switches. 

However, the versions I'm seeing on my 2960x are as follows

The 2960x model is 

WS-2960x-48FPS-L

15.0 (2a) EX5

*according to cisco downloads I can get 15.02 - EX5

My 2960s switches currently are 

WS-2960-24pc-L 

12.2(50) SE5

*according the the cisco downloads I can get 15.0.2 SE9 for this 2960

Will upgrading to these versions cause a mismatch?

2 Replies 2

A.J. Tobia
Level 1
Level 1

Some of my 2960S switches it looks like I will be able to get both the 2960X and 2960S on version

15.2.2 E4(mD)

Hi AJ

for stacks to match its always best to have the exact same ios in place to get all features

if that's not possible Cisco uses the major and minor numbers , if they fully match you will get all features , if they partially match you will only get some. 12.4(15) would be an example of the major minor numbers from and IOS code , this doc explains more

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-12-4-mainline/whitepaper_C11-719867.html

Major Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with different major Cisco IOS software versions usually have different stack protocol versions. Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same switch stack.

Minor Version Number Incompatibility Among Switches

Switches with the same major version number but with a different minor version number are considered partially compatible. When connected to a switch stack, a partially compatible switch enters version-mismatch (VM) mode and cannot join the stack as a fully functioning member. The software detects the mismatched software and tries to upgrade (or downgrade) the switch in VM mode with the switch stack image or with a tar file image from the switch stack flash memory. The software uses the automatic upgrade (auto-upgrade) and the automatic advise (auto-advise) features. For more information, see the "Understanding Auto-Upgrade and Auto-Advise" section.

To see if there are switches in VM mode, use the show switch user EXEC command. The port LEDs on switches in VM mode stay off. Pressing the Mode button does not change the LED mode.

You can use the boot auto-download-sw global configuration command to specify a URL pathname for the master switch to use to get an image in case of version mismatch.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_55_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swstack.html#wp1223384

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card