cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960S - FlexStack module Auth failed

slizarraga
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to make a stack with two 2960S. They have the same IOS but they behave as they were not connected.

One is in production and I am attaching a brand new one to it; in the one that is in production I get these 2 messages:

FlexStack Module SmartChip Authentication Failed

Jun  1 16:54:27.984 GMT-5: %ILET-1-DEVICE_AUTHENTICATION_FAIL: The FlexStack Mod

ule inserted in this switch may not have been manufactured by Cisco or with Cisc

o's authorization. If your use of this product is the cause of a support issue,

Cisco may deny operation of the product, support under your warranty or under a

Cisco technical support program such as Smartnet.  Please contact Cisco's Techni

cal Assistance Center for more information.

I tried switching the modules and the outcome is the same, so I think the modules are ok.

What to you recommend, is there a way to bypass this authentication?

Thanks for your help,

Sergio

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmmm ...

I've seen this before and I've fixed this (several times) but you do you really want to know how I did this?

Power down the switch and re-insert the stacking module is one method.  Make very sure the s_crews are secure (and not just finger-tight).  If the error message returned, I would power down the switch, remove the stacking module and WHACK the flat side of the stacking module on a surface (NOT the intention of breaking the module) and re-inserting the module back.

I pray you don't have to result in the 2nd method.

b.gamble
Level 1
Level 1

A firmware update did the trick for me.

Re-seating the module didn't work and I didn't try whacking it off of my desk.

What version were you running and what version did you upgrade to?  I am having the same issue while running 122-55.SE2

Thanks.

I upgraded to 15.0(2). I'm not sure what version I was on before.

Even after the IOS upgrade I still had one faulty module that I had to return. I probably had four modules total give me grief and the IOS upgrade fixed all but one of them.

The version I was using is

15.0(1)SE2.

slizarraga
Level 1
Level 1

Fortunately, I had another switch so I installed those and I am migrating the connections to this new pair of switches. I think a reload would have help, but this switch is in production.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco