Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X Stack member replace

damian.woz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello community,

I have 2 Catalysts 2960X stacked to each other. Few days ago our stack master failed, soon we'll getting a RMA replacement, but I have question about "best practices" when replacing failed stack member.

What are the steps to connect it without problem? The 2nd (working unit) have all configuration so I only connect the new one, and it will share it's configuration? Of course before I connect it I'll check if both switches have the same IOS versions to prevent some problems.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What are the steps to connect it without problem? 

Make sure the replacement unit is POWERED OFF before connecting the stacking cable.

The 2nd (working unit) have all configuration so I only connect the new one, and it will share it's configuration?

Yes.

View solution in original post

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once it has the same ios just set the priority before connecting it backup,  set to 15 if you want it to be master again

You may have to reconfigure the new ports when switch is synced back up , the global config will be there alright from the other switch but it usually doesn't retain the port info so it will have to be manually reapplied for the new switch only

switch should sync up straight away , check your show version / show switch to make sure its formed and you can see the 2 switch in stack

couple of commands may be useful

switch 1 stack port 1 enable

switch 1 stack port 2 enable

(conf t )switch 1 priority 15

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What are the steps to connect it without problem? 

Make sure the replacement unit is POWERED OFF before connecting the stacking cable.

The 2nd (working unit) have all configuration so I only connect the new one, and it will share it's configuration?

Yes.

Thank you guys - new switch plugged in - everything works flawlessly, both answers were helpful for me.

But I have another question about console port - when I plugged a console (RJ45) cable on the new switch (and then the old switch - currently stack member) and unplugged it - the console LED still lights. Is this a bug?

Once the console port is working its fine , even if it is  bug which it may not be as my 3850s and 3650 console ports stay lit its trivial as its not service effecting to anything , you could check your versions releases notes online in the website , go to the caveat section in the release notes for the known bugs

is this switch where the console stays on the master switch ?

Checked IOS release notes, and didn't found any console bug or fix for it.

I connected console cable 1st on master switch, then to slave, now on both switches console port stays active.

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Once it has the same ios just set the priority before connecting it backup,  set to 15 if you want it to be master again

You may have to reconfigure the new ports when switch is synced back up , the global config will be there alright from the other switch but it usually doesn't retain the port info so it will have to be manually reapplied for the new switch only

switch should sync up straight away , check your show version / show switch to make sure its formed and you can see the 2 switch in stack

couple of commands may be useful

switch 1 stack port 1 enable

switch 1 stack port 2 enable

(conf t )switch 1 priority 15

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card