cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 and VRRP (and GLBP)

riedmueller
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a set of 3650-24TS switches, IOS XE 3.7.2E, IP Services.

Feature navigator appears to say that this version of IOS XE supports VRRP and GLBP on this plaform, but I am unable to actually configure it. The configuration guides are as up to date as IOS XE 3.6. So, can someone tell me a) does this version of IOS XE on this platform support VRRP and GLBP and b) where do I find a configuration guide? The command vrrp is not available under either an SVI or a routed port.

Thank You

3 Replies 3

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

The document "First Hop Redundancy Protocols Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Release 3E" only shows VRRPv3 Protocol Support, and in this document it states the following:

For VRRPv3 to be configurable, the fhrp version vrrp v3 command must be used in global configuration mode.

Try configuring the fhrp version vrrp v3 command first and then configure VRRP within interface configuration mode.

Regards

Steve,

Yes, I saw that in the documentation and ran the command -- it actually gives you 2 options; either VRRP v2 (IPv4 only) or VRRP v3 (IPv4/IPv6).

The command is accepted with no error. After I issued that command, I went to an SVI to start the protocol configuration, and found that the vrrp command is not available for configuration under any interfaces (SVI or routed ports). There is an fhrp command available, but it's only options are for setting timers.

Thanks for the reply

3650 needs the configuration in address-family style.  So instead of:

int vlan 10

vrrp 10 ip 172.16.10.1

vrrp 10 priority 150

do: 

fhrp version vrrp v3

int vlan 3

vrrp 10 address-family ipv4

address 172.16.10.1

priority 150

and it should work just fine.

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card