cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 Software Upgrade

Stacia Taylor
Level 1
Level 1

I am getting ready to upgrade my external switch stack and am being asked how long that this upgrade will take the network down. (It will be performed during a maintenance window.) I thought it took about 15-30 minutes but I am not sure of how long that the switch won't function during that time.

1 Accepted Solution
6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

It depends, if you are upgrading from a very old version, I have seen the reboot time take up to about 20 minutes. If the switch is running a newer version, the reboot time can take up to 15 minutes.

HTH

Thank you for your quick response! This has been very helpful!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends what the current version is and what version intended to go to.
If the upgrade is going from one sub-version to another, like 3.6.1 to 3.6.9, then it will take about 4 minutes.
If the upgrade is going to go from one version to another, like 3.7.6 to 16.6.6, then it will take about 22 minutes because of a micro-code upgrade.

That is good to know as I am moving from one version to another! Nice to have a reference for others that are just going from a sub-version to another.

BTW, ideally it's nice to have console output during an upgrade.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card