cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stackwise switch

bob.bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

I want to confirm adding a switch to an existing stack.

1. Make sure all switches are on same IOS version

2. Adjust stackwise cables to include new switch.

3. Connect new switch and power up

configure ports and whatever on new switch.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ciscograyaw
Level 1
Level 1

The 3750s have a little more tolerance regarding IOS versions of stack members, and can do across-stack upgrades if need be. Cisco likes to say they'll do it automatically, but this is very hit or miss in our experience. However, we have been able to do IOS upgrades from one stack member to another that are running really incompatible versions.

All that being said, that series of steps seems fine. You'll want to keep in mind how you're connecting the stackwise cables if you're doing this live as so to not leave orphans.

Note that while you can connect stacking cables hot, Cisco recommends AGAINST doing so with the RPS cables (and in our experience the RPS 1300s are flakey enough to not tempt fate), so if you're using RPSes you're probably going to have to down the stack.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

ciscograyaw
Level 1
Level 1

The 3750s have a little more tolerance regarding IOS versions of stack members, and can do across-stack upgrades if need be. Cisco likes to say they'll do it automatically, but this is very hit or miss in our experience. However, we have been able to do IOS upgrades from one stack member to another that are running really incompatible versions.

All that being said, that series of steps seems fine. You'll want to keep in mind how you're connecting the stackwise cables if you're doing this live as so to not leave orphans.

Note that while you can connect stacking cables hot, Cisco recommends AGAINST doing so with the RPS cables (and in our experience the RPS 1300s are flakey enough to not tempt fate), so if you're using RPSes you're probably going to have to down the stack.

Thanks for that confirmation on this I have done this before but just had a stack fail and it said it had issues with the versions so I wanted to make sure I was doing this correctly.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card