Views
Helpful
Replies

3750X Stack. How to dedicate last switch to VoIP traffic only

Kiwi123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have a 4-member 3750X PoE stack, IOS 15.2.
Configured 3 Vlans (Data, Voice and Video) with QoS traffic policies. Everything works fine as expected.

Question: For a special purpose, we want to add a new 3750X member to that stack while restricting its ports to Voice VLAN traffic exclusively, so only VoIP phones can be connected to these ports.

Note: We are using a 3rd party VoIP solution not Cisco Unified Comm.

* On a standalone switch, we can easily configure each port as a trunk using the command:
   # switchport trunk allowed vlan XYZ but in my case we are in a stack setup Any idea ?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

a stack config is no issue here ?
the only difference is in the port names where stack member nr is included in the port name

single switch / first stack member -> GigabitEthernet1/0/x
second stack member                  -> GigabitEthernet2/0/x
new / (fifth ?) stack member         -> GigabitEthernet5/0/x

my suggestion would be giving the ports an "access vlan xxx" where xxx is a vlan that is not forwarded/routed to other vlan's
if the  "third party devices" are compatible with CDP or LLDP , it may be  you can use "voice vlan xxx" ?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That makes no difference, trunk port parameters are individual per port.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you marce1000, just wanted a confirmation in case I missed something

pieterh
VIP
VIP

a stack config is no issue here ?
the only difference is in the port names where stack member nr is included in the port name

single switch / first stack member -> GigabitEthernet1/0/x
second stack member                  -> GigabitEthernet2/0/x
new / (fifth ?) stack member         -> GigabitEthernet5/0/x

my suggestion would be giving the ports an "access vlan xxx" where xxx is a vlan that is not forwarded/routed to other vlan's
if the  "third party devices" are compatible with CDP or LLDP , it may be  you can use "voice vlan xxx" ?

Thnk you pietech   I'll try to implement this suggestion.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card