Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 switch with mulitple external connections

Bab L
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

We have just bought a 3850 switch and we will connected to four different subnets.

One Server environment

One environment that connect to the cloud-Azure

One that connect to a vendor  - This vendor connects to our WAN environment

One that connects to another vendor - This connects to mobile users environment

I have been provided with a BGP number that I'll use internally.

What is the easiest way of setting up the switch? Can you create ip addresses on the interface of the switch or I'll need to create vlans and assign the interface?

Also, would I need to receive bgp number form the vendors or I'll just need to provide them with my BGP number?

I haven't setup a switch for BGP before so I'm a little bit cautious.

Any suggestions will be lovely.

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi.

We have just bought a 3850 switch and we will connected to four different subnets.

One Server environment

One that connect to a vendor  - This vendor connects to our WAN environment

What is the easiest way of setting up the switch? Can you create ip addresses on the interface of the switch or I'll need to create vlans and assign the interface?

Also, would I need to receive bgp number form the vendors or I'll just need to provide them with my BGP number?

Thank you

Hi Bab,

BGP AS number would be given to for doing routing handshake with external vendors. I am assuming that this switch will be doing local switch and external routing for server and mobile user subnets.

If yes, Then you can create SVI for server and user mobile network and configured BGP with given AS number to advertise the subnet to external party if it is required.

Check out the below link on BGP configuration on cisco 3850

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/xe-3se/3850/irg-xe-3se-3850-book.html

Hope it Helpss.

-GI

Rate if it Helpss

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have clients/servers in the subnet then you need vlans and SVIs for those.

If you are simply providing a routed link to another company ie. no clients in that subnet then you can use a L3 routed port.

So it sounds like a mixture.

In terms of BGP you need your own AS number which you have and any other AS numbers from your vendors to be able to configure it.

And obviously they will need yours.

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi.

One Server environment

One that connect to a vendor  - This vendor connects to our WAN environment

What is the easiest way of setting up the switch? Can you create ip addresses on the interface of the switch or I'll need to create vlans and assign the interface?

Thank you

Hi Bab,

BGP AS number would be given to for doing routing handshake with external vendors. I am assuming that this switch will be doing local switch and external routing for server and mobile user subnets.

If yes, Then you can create SVI for server and user mobile network and configured BGP with given AS number to advertise the subnet to external party if it is required.

Check out the below link on BGP configuration on cisco 3850

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_bgp/configuration/xe-3se/3850/irg-xe-3se-3850-book.html

Hope it Helpss.

-GI

Rate if it Helpss

Thank you

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have clients/servers in the subnet then you need vlans and SVIs for those.

If you are simply providing a routed link to another company ie. no clients in that subnet then you can use a L3 routed port.

So it sounds like a mixture.

In terms of BGP you need your own AS number which you have and any other AS numbers from your vendors to be able to configure it.

And obviously they will need yours.

Jon

Bab L
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card