Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 vs 9300

reashad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

i need to do a hardware refresh on my company. currently we have 3750. so my option is either to go with 3850 or 9300. off course 9300 is a better option over 3850. but when i got the quote from our local reseller i was extremely surprised to see that 3850 is exactly 2 times more expensive that 9300. any reason why there is a very big price difference.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much the same reason PCs, for decades, have increased their performance while providing it at reduced cost. The only difference is, Cisco doesn't reduce the cost of their older equipment for the reason Seb notes (and also to retain it for spare parts, as the production line for older equipment is shut down).

From a price/performance aspect, later equipment is often a much better "deal", although software often isn't as stable (often early in the software lifecycle).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Both switches occupy the same architecture space, the 9300 being a more capable piece of kit. The disparity in price can be viewed as cisco trying to walk customers into the loving embrace of DNA (and potential perpetual license renewals).

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Much the same reason PCs, for decades, have increased their performance while providing it at reduced cost. The only difference is, Cisco doesn't reduce the cost of their older equipment for the reason Seb notes (and also to retain it for spare parts, as the production line for older equipment is shut down).

From a price/performance aspect, later equipment is often a much better "deal", although software often isn't as stable (often early in the software lifecycle).

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Joe and Sep's comments, the 3850 series will probably go EOL soon as it is older than 3650 series. So, for refresh and/or new design I would use the 9300 series. BTW, the 3650 series switches are much better products than the 3850 series.

Good Luck!

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
There are a series of hardware "bugs" with the 3650/3850 in regards to architecture which got "corrected" (or improved) with the Catalyst 9300.
Another feature that will be coming out soon is the amount of switches that can be stacked. 3650/3850 can support up to 9 switches in a stack.
Catalyst 9300 (I'm not sure about 9200 as I don't have one to check) will be able to support up to 16 switches in a stack.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco