Views
Helpful
Replies

4010 goose messaging issues

Learner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i am new to industrial switches, we are putting a  cisco 4010 switch in one of our substations. its a stand alone network for now. but we were having problems with the goose messaging egressing the ports. i did some digging it was related to vlan tag priority so i set the ports mode to trunk and goose started to work. 
Now our production ppl needs to communicate with the the relays, devices at end of access ports cant communicate with trunk mode relays. 
the work around i am thinking of is putting the access port in vlan 1.

would this solve the issue?

what possible issues i can run into if setting all relay connected ports to trunk and the managing computer in access vlan 1?

Is thee a work around i can use so that i dont have to configure ports as trunk for relays?

Brief intro of design : almost 10 electric relays are plugged into the switchports configured as trunk and allowing all vlans. one workstation is connected to access port in vlan 1 

3 Replies 3

Hello @Learner

I suppose you setup trunk for a reason but it is not clear on the explanation. Does those relay support trunk?  I mean, why does they need trunk? Anyway, you check interface speed an duplex. It is recommended that both side have the same config for this parameters.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

@ flavio miranda
Yes relays only communicate when in trunk, the goose message sets a priority of 4 in the ethernet packet and it communicates in vlan 0,
So ingressing packet works but egressing packet has its priority and vlan tag removed for some reason
So only trunk works.
I have already tried with port speed and duplex

When you say goose you mean Generic Object Oriented Substation Events (GOOSE)?

well, back to your question, you can have a PC in access port whilst other ports is in trunk. I would recommend you to use another vlan number for PC as vlan 1 is the default vlan and may be used for management, but, if you use 1 will work as well.

And you ask for a workaround but looks like Relays need trunk right? 

Vlan 0 is considered Reserved and Cisco ask to do not use it. But looks like Relay follows different rules.

If this PC needs to communicate with Relay then its vlan needs to be allowed on trunk as well.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card