cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4500 Catalyst switch tech doc

Nasirkhan2631
Level 1
Level 1

I was looking at tech doc for 4500 chassis switches and I have some confusion in my mind .

Centralized switching capacity how we calculate that is there any specific calculation method that we have to go through it (because I saw on the tech doc is different for every supervisor)

As I am going to buy new chassis switches and I have to explain other people that if the switching capacity is 24 GBPS then why is 24 GBPS or if it is 64 GBPS the why it is 64 GBPS

Let say on the tech doc it says

Centralized 280-Gbps switching capacity with 225 millions of packets per second (mpps) of throughput

For my understanding I don't know how they calculate 280 GBPS and the switching capacity calculated

Suppose I have 2000 packet per second it means they transfer on what ????

If some one have an idea and want to share with me please go ahead and posted

I am not a sales person or tech guy

Thanks

2 Replies 2

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

Well, the Cat4x00 series is with a centralized forwarding architechture. This means that the throughput is determined by the Supervisor used. All Supervisors before Sup6E had a capacity of 6 Gbps per module, while the Sup6E in a Cat4500E chassis gives you 24 Gbps per module.

Then it's a question of adding the number of slots and then time it all by 2, as figures are often given as full duplex (i.e. 24 Gbps transmit and 24 Gbps receiving).

HTH, Ingolf

Hi,

some more information about C4500E.

On C4507E/C4507E-R all linecard slots provide 24GBit/s bidirectional.

On C4510E-R linecard slots 8-10 provides only 6GBit/s bidirectional.

Redundant SupEngine 6E provide 24GBit/s bidirectional together.

The real system switching capacity ( mpps ) depends on linecard, chassis, supengine and packet size.

To find the right components is sometimes harder then configureing the device ;-)

regards

Thilo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card