cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4507R-E 10G uplink connectivity & Documentation ?

patelvc7601
Level 1
Level 1

We have 4507R-E with 6L-E sup . I have twingig converter & X2 on following ports. We have dual sup & running sso. My question is how it determine which port is active ? Looking at the output te3/1 & te4/1 port is active .

I read the following high redundancy uplink guide :

http://cisco.biz/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/prod_white_paper0900aecd806ed38a.pdf

which talks about 2+2 redundancy but does not talk anything about how to configure the switch ?

I also look at following  configuration guide for 12.2(54)SG

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/54sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1128472

which talks about shared backplane uplink mode on SUP 6-E & I do not see following command working for my SUP 6L-E

Switch(config)# hw-mod uplink mode 
shared-backplane

Te3/1             notconnect   trunk        full    10G No X2

Te3/2             inactive        trunk        full    10G 10GBase-LR

Te4/1             notconnect    1            full    10G 10GBase-LR

Te4/2             inactive         1            full    10G No X2

I am big fan of the cisco documentation but as far as 4507 concern, this is disappointing ?

Sincerely,

Viral

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rahul Kachalia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Viral,

In non-redundant mode (Single-Sup) by default both uplink ports can be used as 10G uplink or can changed to 1G as needed.

And in redundant mode  (Dual-Sup) by default second port is internally disabled to provide 1:1 non-blocking switching performance. If you need to use inactive port, then you can change the default backplane mode to shared-backplane and increase port-density, keep in mind now your switching performance will be 2:1 oversubscription. You can find additional detail of uplink configuraiton in Chapter 2 of following guide:

Borderless Campus 1.0 Design Guide

Shared-Backplane is only supported on Sup6-E hardware, the Sup6L-E is the lighter version of Sup6E supervisor and it does not support such capability...

thanks,

rahul.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

I want to make sure i understand your intent.   You want the ability to use the twingig interfaces on your 4507?

Jonathan,

I recently set up my 4507R-E for gig uplinks with relatively no problems.  If you are only using one uplink per SUP-6 you don't have to oversubscribe the hw-module (ie. hw-module uplink mode shared-backplane). I'm running IOS 12.2(53)SG, so your IOS should take the hw-module command if necessary.  Use the command:

"(config)#hw-module module ? port-group ? select gigabitethernet" to change the uplink speed.

Jonathan,

Rahul Kachalia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Viral,

In non-redundant mode (Single-Sup) by default both uplink ports can be used as 10G uplink or can changed to 1G as needed.

And in redundant mode  (Dual-Sup) by default second port is internally disabled to provide 1:1 non-blocking switching performance. If you need to use inactive port, then you can change the default backplane mode to shared-backplane and increase port-density, keep in mind now your switching performance will be 2:1 oversubscription. You can find additional detail of uplink configuraiton in Chapter 2 of following guide:

Borderless Campus 1.0 Design Guide

Shared-Backplane is only supported on Sup6-E hardware, the Sup6L-E is the lighter version of Sup6E supervisor and it does not support such capability...

thanks,

rahul.

Rahul,

Thank you for the link & hope others will help by this Design guide.

Sincerely,

Viral Patel

johngebert
Level 1
Level 1

I am saving same problem. redundant 6-e supervisors. ver 12.2(40). hw-mod;  uplink word not allowed.

egarcial
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is still the same, Sup6L-E does not support the Shared-Backplane feature.

Sup6L-E Uplink Port Design

The Sup6L-E uplink port functions the same as the Sup6-E in non-redundant mode. However, in redundant mode the hardware design of the Sup6L-E differs from the Sup7-E, as the Sup6-E currently does not support a shared backplane mode that allows the active use of all uplink ports. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card