Views
Helpful
Replies

4510 dual super IOS upgrade

John Kim
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 4510R+E with dual sup7-e. It's set up as SSO.

I'm planning to upgrade IOS to the latest version, which is 3.3.1.151-1.SG1, using ISSU.

One thing that bothers me is the config register is set to 0x2101.

I've typed in 0x2102 but it says "Configuration register is 0x2101 (will be 0x2102 at next reload).

So I put in 'redundancy peer reload' command to see whether standby supervisor comes up as 0x2101 but it didn't.

Do I have to commit 'redundancy reload shelf' to get the chassis to 0x2102 so it can power cycle?

I've tried once to upgrade the IOS using old method, setting boot system command but it didn't work.

Can anyone clarify on this one please?

Regards,

John              

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Since the sups are in SSO mode, after changing the config register to 0x2102, you need to reboot the chassis.  Once booted completely, if you do a "sh redu" you should see both sups are 0x2102.

Once you are done with this step, than you can upgrade the IOS using eFSU.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/Borderless_Campus_Network_1.0/BN_Campus_HA.html#wp1229799

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

Since the sups are in SSO mode, after changing the config register to 0x2102, you need to reboot the chassis.  Once booted completely, if you do a "sh redu" you should see both sups are 0x2102.

Once you are done with this step, than you can upgrade the IOS using eFSU.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Campus/Borderless_Campus_Network_1.0/BN_Campus_HA.html#wp1229799

HTH

Just to check does this applies to 4510 with Dual Sup 8 module card? If both 4510 Sup 8 module card is in 0x2101 and forced to 0x2102, then an upgrade was carry out to the firmware. All the links go down after the upgrade.

One thing that bothers me is the config register is set to 0x2101.

For unknown reasons, the 4500 BU started shipping out Sup7/8 line cards with config-registry value of 0x2101.  

No need to be alarmed.  There is a "silver lining" to this settings.  Let me explain:  

Line cards, for the 6500 and 4500, with the recommended value of 0x2102 is a double-edged-sword.  If you upgrade the IOS only but failed to change the boot variable string, the next reboot the chassis will either boot the old IOS or boot into ROMmon (if the old IOS was deleted).  The line cards for the 6500 and 4500 didn't have the "smarts" to load the first available IOS, similar to Catalyst 2K and 3K switches, when config-registry value is set to 0x2102.  

Now enter the value of 0x2101.  The last octet value of "01" basically instructs the line card to boot the first applicable IOS found in the boot flash.  With this value, all you need to validate is the new IOS is located on top of the old IOS.  

I hope this makes sense.

In order to carry out ISSU upgrade to a Dual Sup 8 card in 4510, the configuration register will need to be in 0x2102 to begin with.

I have changed the configuration register from default 0x2101 to 0x2102 (never reboot).

Then, we performed and upgrade to the second Sup card.

After which, we performed and upgrade to the first Sup card.

All links are dead(includes port channel) after the steps are carried out.

Is it likely that it is a bug?

Leo,

How would we "validate is the new IOS is located on top of the old IOS?"  Do you mean the order of the boot system commands in the startup config or the order of the IOS as listed in the show bootflash: command?

Thank you,

Tod

How would we "validate is the new IOS is located on top of the old IOS?

Easy, Tod.  The command "dir" is sufficient.  

Do you mean the order of the boot system commands in the startup config or the order of the IOS as listed in the show bootflash: command?

He he he ... You're getting sly.  This is a trick question, Tod. 

It depends entirely upon the config-registry value.  

1.  0x2102:  Config-registry value dictates what the order system should boot based on the boot variable string. 

2.  0x2101:  Config-registry value states "f*ck the boot variable" and boot the FIRST valid IOS based on the order (from top-to-bottom) found in the bootflash.  

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: