Views
Helpful
Replies

6509-E IOS Upgrade to Ver. 15.0 or Higher

eandrcisco007
Level 1
Level 1

Gents...,

I am working with a client that has 6x6509-E layer 3 switches that has been configured long ago so i am planning to upgrade the IOS and bump them up to V.15.00 or higher and ...

FYI> Currently a few have 12.2(18)SXF ipservice and the rest have12.2(33)sx17 as IOS with redundant SUPS720-10G and SUP720-3B along with different modules. (ws-6724-sfp, ws-6148a-ge-45af and ...)

At this point, i am doing some research and i would like to know what would be the best IOS to download and implement with less headache/clutter and downtime.

I am planning to start with VSS and then finish up the rest so I wonder if anyone has taken the same path and knows what IOS and Ver. to download.

I would welcome any suggestion.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pick an IOS release of your choosing and read the Release Notes.  Pay close attention to the Supported Hardware section and confirm your line cards are in this list.  

Read through the Open/Close Caveats and test the IOS first.

Gentlemen,

I need to update/ replace the current compact flash cards on the switches and i would like to know if there is a specific command to check the serial numbers of current flash cards...  any idea...?

I dont believe you have any command to check the serial number of the compact flash.,

But below are few commands which might help:-

show flash: all

show flash0: filesys

I need to update/ replace the current compact flash cards on the switches and i would like to know if there is a specific command to check the serial numbers of current flash cards...  any idea...?

What's the significance of the serial number of a CF?  

The relevant & important information that should be asked is:  What is the capacity of the CF and how much capacity is LEFT.

Well..thank you for your post!!

All those details are in hand and in fact that is the reason I would like to get the serial number to get the correct part (CF) ordered!! pretty simple but hard to get ..

I would like to get the serial number to get the correct part (CF) ordered

Pssst!  Lemme give you a little "secret". 

All my Sup720 and routers sports a 2 Gb CF card.  Cisco DOES NOT have or sell 2 Gb CF card.  *wink*, *wink*

oh ..wow , is that right? thank you ,

so we are just tight up to get 2 GB CF Card and there is a Risk to go lower...am I correct?

Not all 3rd party CF are supported.  This is because not all of them follow the "standards" when they are manufactured.  Cisco CF are Type IV.   Try to get one and test it.  If the supervisor cards can "see" the CF then get more of the same brand AND size.  

Thank you... I have already tried them all but I could not get what I was expecting...it is pretty vague...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card