Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 NLB Issue

DrakoNoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I recently had to swap out a 6716 card with a 6708 card in a 6509 chassis due to a failure.  We have some servers that are using NLB so we've got static arp/mac entries in place that were working fine up until the swap.

I came across the following statement while reading through this Cisco document: (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/107995-configure-nlb-00.html)

Due to a hardware limitation that is tracked by Cisco bug ID CSCug49149, the NLB traffic cannot be sent across a distributed Etherchannel on the same 6708 linecard when the switch runs in either PFC3B or PFC3C mode. The port-channel must be cabled so that all of the member links are on the same forwarding engine.

I'm just trying to understand exactly what this statement is saying and what the work around is.  It sounds like NLB will not work with this 6708 card that we put in but I'm hoping someone else with experience in this can shed some light.

SUP Details

Supervisor Engine 720 10GE (Active) VS-S720-10G
Policy Feature Card 3 VS-F6K-PFC3C

Line Card

CEF720 8 port 10GE with DFC WS-X6708-10GE
Distributed Forwarding Card WS-F6700-DFC3C

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The port-channel must be cabled so that all of the member links are on the same forwarding engine.

So, according to this, you would have to create a Portchannel and use multiple physical links as a workaround for load-balancing.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card