cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 Vlan bandwidth throttle?

lukeprimm
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to throttle the bandwidth on my guest wireless vlan.  We use a 6509 at the head end and was wondering if anyone had experience doing this?  I've read some posting saying that using MLS statements is the way to go?  Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do this by using a policy map on the L3 vlan interface to police the traffic and then you configure each L2 switchport in that vlan to use vlan based qos.

Attached is a link to the 6500 QOS config guide. I have linked to the specific bit about configuring vlan based qos but it also has details for configuring the policy map with policing -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1726124

Jon

"you configure each L2 switchport in that vlan to use vlan based qos."  What about a trunk port? The port that faces my wireless controller is a trunk port that carries three vlans, including the guest wireless vlan.  Does this change anything?  THanks for the help.

Only ever used it on "switchport mode access" ports so can't say for sure  but reading the notes it suggests that it applies to any L2 port configured with "switchport" command which would include trunk links so i would say you would be alright.

Obviously though as i can't say 100% you should test it and probably implement out of core hours.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card