Views
Helpful
Replies

Access and Trunking Mode on Bridge Connection

JohnAJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Can anyone explain to me what VLAN mode I need to use on the port that connected to my wireless Bridge device?

I have a connection from two different building using wireless bridge device. Building A and B. 

User in Building A is accessing and retrieving data from the Server located at Building B.

Currently the port that connected to the bridge device is running on access mode. 

However the user complaining that they having slowness issue when retrieving the data. 

I have check the Speed, and both port also configured as full duplex mode. 

Would it be due to the VLAN mode itself?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may want find this  thread informational :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-wireless-mobility-subjects/wireless-bridge-as-a-trunk/td-p/907961

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello

@JohnAJ wrote:

I have a connection from two different building using wireless bridge device. Building A and B. 

User in Building A is accessing and retrieving data from the Server located at Building B.

Currently the port that connected to the bridge device is running on access mode. 

However the user complaining that they having slowness issue when retrieving the data. 

The switchport that an access-point connects to depends mode the Ap is running, lighweight mode just requires an access port as the APs create tunnels towards its WLC, However autonomous APs require a trunk port as there isnt any WLC for it to connect to.

Regards your issue, Can you confirm what type of bridging mode these AP's are running, Are the users hardwired / wifi or both connected from site B, Is it only the remote users in the bridged site B complaining about the slowness and is just to the server or in general?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

gordonli
Level 1
Level 1

The VLAN mode on switch port is not affecting the speed, both access and trunk port should provide same speed.

For the slow issue, you may try to check the bridge device specification, does it provides enough wireless throughput as your requirement, and is there any interference affecting the wireless environment.

Doing throughput test(such as iperf) on both end of bridge devices can help you to test the actual throughput.

You may also need to check the server resource and any other bottleneck between the user and server.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card