cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access port on 7204vxr

robert.mason
Level 1
Level 1

I have found the config to make a fast ethernet port on a 7204vxr a trunk port. Is there a way to make the same port an access port in order to receive untagged packets? (without using sub-interfaces?) For a trunk port I just use:

vlan-id or vlan-range and it works great. But there is no option for "native" with the IOS I am running. 12.4.24T

2 Replies 2

vmoopeung
Level 5
Level 5

A Layer 2 port can function as either a trunk port, an access port, or a private VLAN port.

A trunk port can carry nontagged packets simultaneously with the 802.1Q tagged packets. When you assign a default port VLAN ID to the trunk port, all untagged traffic travels on the default port VLAN ID for the trunk port, and all untagged traffic is assumed to belong to this VLAN. This VLAN is referred to as the native VLAN ID for a trunk port. That is, the native VLAN ID is the VLAN that carries untagged traffic on trunk ports.

Hi:

"When you assign a default port VLAN ID to the trunk port, all untagged traffic travels on the default port VLAN ID for the trunk port, and all untagged traffic is assumed to belong to this VLAN."

Not quite. Unless the native vlan is specifically defined on the trunk port (switchport trunk native vlan x), the native vlan will still default to vlan 1 while the port is trunking.

The default vlan configuration you are recommending (switchport access vlan x) is in the event that the trunk port stops trunking and reverts to being an access port that will be placed in a specific vlan. That vlan would normally be the native vlan of 1.

HTH

Victor

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card