Views
Helpful
Replies

Accessing Switch MIB

jonathan.zinn
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I have a 3945 integrated router. On a separate server I am trying to monitor the status of all the interfaces via SNMP through the ifTable.

I am running into an issue of trying to obtain status of interfaces on the switch. From my understanding the router and the switch are separate from each other with their own IOS and SNMP agent.

How would I go about accessing the MIB of the switch via SNMP?

Thanks for the help!

3 Replies 3

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Similar to router , you need to enable SNMP on the switch to acsess or manage the device via SNMP.

Switch# snmp-server community <community name> RO/RW

that's it..  :)

Now , you can poll the device statics via SNMP from your monitoring tool after adding this switch

in your tool .

Link for your reference :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/simple-network-management-protocol-snmp/7282-12.html#enablesnmp

Thanks-

Afroz

***Ratings Encourages Contributors ***

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hi Afroz!

Thanks for the response. 

I am using SNMP v3 and have set up my groups/users on both the router and the switch. The issue I am running into is that when I poll the SNMP device I only retrieve MIB elements associated with the router. 

I cant seem to access the SNMP agent associated with the switch even when setting the SNMP target address to an interface on the switch. 

Thanks

John

how are you trying to access it ?

can you try to configure or poll the switch with SNMPv2 and see how it works...

Thanks-

Afroz

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card