Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a Second Switch

networker101
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am going to add a Second switch to the curent setup.

There is a 3560 currently connected and i am going to add a 3524, to increase ports within the office

Can you advise me what is the best way to add this secondar switch without causing an outage?

• whcih cable to be used (Crossover, straight through)
  • Spanning tree
  • VTP
  • Trunk port or access port

anything else?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

1. A striaght CAT5e cable for a 10/100 switch. Generally today you do not need a "Crossover" cable. They used to be required in the past , but most switches today auto detect the cable type.
  2. If you have Spanning tree running in your network then please make sure the new 3524 switch have lower priority than the existing root switch.
  3. Regarding VTP make this new switch as a client.
  4. You need to make trunk to the uplink port in order to traverse vlans to another switches.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Adding to Naidu comments - just making sure the switch is a VTP client will not ensure your VTP domain will not be overwritten.  A client vtp device with the correct VTP domain and a higher VTP config revision CAN overwrite a server.  So change the VTP domain on the switch you are ADDING(3524) to something other that the VTP domain you are using - this will change the config revision to 0.

HTH>

we are using the same VLAN, so will i still need to use trunk port or can i use access port?

Thanks

If its a flat VLAN then you should just be able to use an access port for an uplink.  Truck would be required for multiple VLAN traffic to pass between both switches.

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

As Chris said, if you are in same vlan where the new switch will be adding then you should be use the uplink as access port (switch port mode access)
If you are running in multiple vlans then the uplink should be as a trunk (switch port mode trunk) to be able to traverse multiple vlans on the link.

Hope this clear you...

Please rate the all helpufll posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card