Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new SUP engine to cisco 6509

sridhar ch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recetly  upgraded our core switches (6509E) to SUP 2T from 32. Each core has 2 SUP's (hot/standby). out of 4 SUP engines, one is defective. i had received the new SUP from cisco. Currently my core swicth 2 is running with single SUP. Can i directly insert the new SUP engine in slot 6 (free)? will it automatically load the existing IOS from active SUP? what will happen if the new SUP has a different IOS other than the active SUP? Also is there a way to find out the IOS version without inserting in the chasy?

Thanks,

Sridhar

2 Replies 2

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sridhar,

Can i directly insert the new SUP engine in slot 6 (free)?

- Yes you can do it. It can be inserted with router being up., You dont need to bring the box down.

will it automatically load the existing IOS from active SUP?

- No. It will load from its location (per configuration) or the first bootable image.

what will happen if the new SUP has a different IOS other than the active SUP

- The redundancy mode cannot be SSO in this case.

Also is there a way to find out the IOS version without inserting in the chasy?

- I dont think. If the image is in disk, you can try removing it, insert in some running box and check. If it is bootflash, you need to bring it up to check.

HTH,

Nagendra

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your new line card should have the same IOS as the active one.

The fastest way of doing is is via CF.  If your active supervisor card has a CF, copy the IOS to it and move the CF (with the IOS) to the new card.

Insert the card and interrupt the bootup process to go into ROMmon.

Force the new card to boot the IOS from the CF.

When the new card has sync with the active card, copy the IOS from the CF to the sup-bootflash:.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card