cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding static routes for HA

bryantsteve
Level 1
Level 1

Our network Core/Distribution uses OSPF routing between Layer3 c3750 switches.  SVI interfaces are used and generally downlink directly to access

switches at layer 2 but some subnets are served by point to point connections with a static route to  a downstream router or firewall. These static routes

are redistributed in OSPF. We recently added a connection from a second distro router for one of these static routed subnets and configured

HA /virtual IP for the SVI between  the two routers.  How do I configure to have the needed static route on the second router in the event it becomes the active router?    

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It might help if you could draw a quick diagram showing the connectivity.

It's not clear what the actual issue is.

Jon

bryantsteve
Level 1
Level 1

HA Static route.bmp

Thanks for the diagram.

I may still not be understanding but can't you just add a static route to the second distro router and reidstibute into OSPF.

Jon

Thanks  I added that static route to the standby router with a admin cost of 111, so the standby route isn't redistirbuted  into OSPF, hopefully it will  advertise correctly if the active interface goes down.

An alternative which would be faster is to -

1) redistribute the static on the primary link as OSPF external E1

2) redistribute the static on the backup link as OSPF external E2

E1s are preferred over E2s so the E1 will be used unless it stops beng advertised.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card