cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adsl router suitable ?

fran19422
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am just learning about ADSL interfaces for a business LAN.

So if you have a business that requires ADSL internet connectivity, what are the actual reasons why you would provide for this by installing an ADSL WIC in a router, rather than just connect a LAN edge router to a little external ADSL router such as a WAG120N.

What do most companies do ?

Thanks for any help.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Need to know more info,

1. What's the budget for this router?
2. How many VLANs are required?
3. What is the potential speed of the DSL link now and potential speed upgrade?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Hi, it is just a theoretical question.

I mean would a larger company prefer to install an ADSL card into a router in order for ADSL connection to an ISP?

I presume this would offer higher throuhgput and more versatile cofiguration than a separate unit like a WAG120n could offer ?

I guess that all-in-one ADSL gateway units like the wag120 are really only for home use and that companies would rather use more highly configurable routers to individually implment things like dhcp, port forwarding, NAT, routing, ADSL connectivity etc ?

Thanks for any confirmation. I am just trying to grasp the big picture.

I mean would a larger company prefer to install an ADSL card into a router in order for ADSL connection to an ISP?

It depends on the budget of the company.  DSL, being a cheap form of data transport, has little or no SLA.  Meaning, if your DSL link to the outside world is down, the ISP will take it's time to fix it.  Another inherit risk to DSL is congestion/contention ratio.  Another thing as well is the speed.  DSL technology, including the newer "vectoring", is still considered low speed.

I guess that all-in-one ADSL gateway units like the wag120 are really only for home use and that companies would rather use more highly configurable routers to individually implment things like dhcp, port forwarding, NAT, routing, ADSL connectivity etc ?

Absolutely right.  SOHO (Small Office, Home Office) are not designed for, say, 100 Mbps WAN connection.  Otherwise, every-man-and-his-monkey would get a cheap US$40 router and stick it in 12-storey office tower with 2000 staff.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card