cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Alternate Solution to Loop aside STP

Adekunle
Level 1
Level 1

SITUATION: I have two switches SW1 and SW2. These two switches are connected with two trunk ports. While SW1 is connected to PC1, SW2 is connected to PC2. 

If PC1 sends a broadcast frame to PC2 via SW1. SW1 transmits the frame to SW2. However, recall i have two connecting trunk ports. So when the frame from SW1 gets to SW2 through one of the trunking ports. The frame is flooded out of all of SW2 ports except that it was received on. Hence, the frame loops back to SW1 and this cycle continues causing Broadcast storm.

QUESTION: ASIDE STP, HOW CAN I AVERT LOOP ON THIS TOPOLOGY.

Thank you all as i look forward to your informed responses.

5 Replies 5

STP will stop the loop, 
it will detect BPDU and BLK one of trunk interconnect both SW.

NetworkDave
Spotlight
Spotlight

@adekunle

I agree with @MHM Cisco World. Typically STP would be configured and would stop the loop.

It appears that you don't want to use STP. Without STP, you would need to ensure that there were no redundant paths. One way would be to only have one trunk link between the switches. If You needed the capacity/speed of two links, you could increase this by upgrading (ex. from 10M to 100M to 1G to 10G). An alternative would be to use etherchannel. This would combine the two physical links into one virtual link. Probably the better choice, considering the cost, equipment, time, etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember to mark helpful posts and mark the correct answer as a solution; It helps other users with similar questions.

Hello,

I don't know the exact details of your topology, but if you keep the each PC in a different Vlan (local Vlan), it would never be looped. The article below is an interesting read...

Top 5 Alternatives to Using Spanning Tree Protocol

https://blog.skyline-ats.com/2020/04/21/top-alternatives-to-using-spanning-tree-protocol/

whatever answer you get, broadcast storm will down your network, 
in L3 also there is loop but ttl prevent loop for ever when ttl reach = 0 then the packet is drop
in L2 there is not such this, and loop will run for ever, not in only case PC1 connect to PC2 but for any frame need flood by SW, for example PC need to connect it GW is send ARP with broadcast fame destination, this will run for ever and never stop. 
so sorry you need to run STP or make only one connect between two SW.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card