cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any retail router that connects to internet via WiFi

PapiBow12
Level 1
Level 1

The cisco WiFi routers for home use seem to assume only cable connection to the internet. Can any of these routers be configured to have WiFi connection to the Internet and cable connection to the desktop/laptop. I would like to have an external box running a firewall when I use my laptop in various WiFi places in addition to the firewall on my laptop, sort of redundancy. The laptop would be connected to the router via a cable, and the router would connect to WiFi network instead of the laptop, the assumption is that the router also runs a firewall. Sort of reverse logic.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't know if this is what you are looking for but the 800 series routers (from the 850 to the 890) all have wireless options (product codes with "W").

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_models_comparison.html

the issue here is not whether a router has wireless options, the issue here is whether one of the options will enable the configuration I described

Wireless router < --- WIRELESS --- > wireless router < -- cable -- > internet

If this is what you are talking about, then yes it's possible as long as both wireless router is a Cisco.

The terminology is called a "wireless bridge".

which part of my description is so tough to understand! read it again

(Any wireless router provided by WiFi hotspot) < --- WIRELESS --- > (my wireless router with firewall) < -- (my Ethernet cable) -- > (my laptop)

I do not know of any Cisco produkt cthat does just that.

However I have some experience with the 3com office connect wireless travel router.

wich does exactly what you want, it can be an AP or a Router or a client.

But normally I connect an asa5505 to it and the computer to the asa.

so basically I use it just to change medium from wireless to ethernet.

if you want to find out more devices like that search for wireless travel routers.

if anyone knows of a cisco device that does the same I am also interested to know.

Good luck

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

which part of my description is so tough to understand! read it again

(Any wireless router provided by WiFi hotspot) < --- WIRELESS --- > (my wireless router) < -- (my Ethernet cable) -- > (my laptop)

Wireless Bridges Point-to-Point Link Configuration Example

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008058f53e.shtml

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card