cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

any way to do QinQ "transparently" without an intermediate switch?

spraggryam
Level 1
Level 1

This would be on a 9500-40X.

I have a couple of groups of vmware hosts - call them "A01 through A09" hooked to eth 1-10 and "B01 through B09" hooked to eth 11-20. I'd like to be able to configure a set of ports such that the ESXi host sees a standard trunk port, but that is wrapped with QinQ on the switch so that when A0x sends a frame tagged with vlan 1000 it is distinct from a B0x vlan 1000 frame.

It looks like this is normally done with an intermediate switch:

A-hosts -> {trunk on ports 01-10} sw01 {qinq-on-vlan-100} -> 9500-40x
B-hosts -> {trunk on ports 11-20} sw02 {qinq-on-vlan-200} -> 9500-40x

but is there a way to do it on a single switch without sw01/sw02? Note that ESXi itself will NOT do any special tagging, it is purely going to support standard vlan tagged frames. (The question isn't really distinct to ESXi - call it "any device that supports standard 802.1q tagged frames.)

In case any interest in the actual use case - have a bunch of test devices and ESXi hosts with test VMs owned by different groups. Would like them to each have ability to do "full trunk ports" since some of the devices want to actually test with vlans -- but with them connected to a standard trunk, I either have to allocate specific vlan #'s to specific groups/teams, or they are able to stomp on each other.

0 Replies 0
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card