Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 drops internet

stevemrice1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed a Cisco ASA 5505 at a client site in order to set up a site-to-site vpn. Everything works fine except every so often, maybe once a week, I get a call from them to say that the Internet is not working. The Internet is adsl and is fed into the ASA by a D-link modem (dsl-300T). They have a single static ip address.

When the Internet drops, I have performed the following:

Plugged laptop directly into D-link modem and verified that it can access Internet.

Plugged laptop directly into Cisco router, no internet.

Accessed asdm and tried to ping the D-link modem from ASA. Unsuccessful (I have verified that this ping normally works when Internet is working).

I get the Internet working again by switching off both modem and router and restarting. Even this doesn't always work but usually if I continue to power down one or the other, often unplugging the ethernet cable between ASA and modem, the Internet will suddenly start working. I change no settings at all.

The vpn is inactive at present so I don't think this would be a factor.

I have swapped out both ASA and modem for a cheap Netgear adsl router and it works without an issue, but I need the ASA for the vpn capability.

I am considering changing the modem to see if that makes a difference or throwing the ASA out of the window!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tackle this issue?

Regards

Steve

1 Reply 1

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Steve,

Please try to capture the ARP entries in the ARP table when you have a problem and when you do not have a problem. I had a similar issue, where I had to make a static ARP entry in the device (Router in my case) to make it work.

sho arp | inc 'interface name' will show you the ARP entries..

Thanks

Gaurav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card