Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA firwall configuration

bahmansadiq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I just started working in a company  which they have only one ASA 5520 firewall but no router, can i use this firewall to router the network?

how my topology will be? Is it possible to do router on a stick in ASA firewall?

all we have is one Cisco SW 2960 and one ASA 5520, can i make a network with them?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

thank you for your response, how can give DG for every vlan in ASA? can i make sub interfaces in asa  like Router?

if its possible send me a draft topology how it looks?

highly appreciated

Hi,

Check out the below link, which gives good explanation of interface creation and usage.

http://www.gomjabbar.com/2012/05/08/cisco-asa-5520-creating-subinterfaces/#sthash.E9zKJP4g.dpbs

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi everyone,

I just started working in a company  which they have only one ASA 5520 firewall but no router, can i use this firewall to router the network?

how my topology will be? Is it possible to do router on a stick in ASA firewall?

all we have is one Cisco SW 2960 and one ASA 5520, can i make a network with them?

Hi,

Yes , You can use ASA in routed mode with static routing enabled for small network .As you are having cisco 2960 L2 switch create a trunk with with to ASA interface and all VLANs gateway will be ASA.

If you are having internet outlet connecting with ASA drop a single default route towards internet.

with Having ASA as gateway you can protect the host communication with having ACL rules in place in ASA.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

Hi,

thank you for your response, how can give DG for every vlan in ASA? can i make sub interfaces in asa  like Router?

highly appreciated

Hi,

thank you for your response, how can give DG for every vlan in ASA? can i make sub interfaces in asa  like Router?

highly appreciated

Hi,

Check out the below link, which gives good explanation of interface creation and usage.

http://www.gomjabbar.com/2012/05/08/cisco-asa-5520-creating-subinterfaces/#sthash.E9zKJP4g.dpbs

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

Stefan Menning
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

adding to the answer of Ganesh, you should also use:

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface on the ASA in global config mode. This enables the asa to send traffic out off the same interface that it was received on. Default asa behavior is to drop such traffic.

Best Regards,

Stefan

Hello

Suppose

you have 3 VLANs: 11,12,13  (192.168.x.x)

Your ASA is connected to Internet on port G0/0 (126.1.1.1)

Your 2960 is connected to ASA on port  G0/1 (both links are trunk).

To configure,

1- Assign your Public IP to port G0/0

2- Default route to your service provider

3- Create several SVIs on interface  G0/1

4- Assign a VLAN to each SVI

5- NAT (Your private address to public address)

6-  Remember to put a policy from inside to outside to access to internet (It is denied by default).

7- same-security-traffic permit intra-interface allows your LAN bypass the firewall when communicating with each other.

Configuration looks like this( there might be some errors because it is handwriting)

GigabitEthernet0/0
  nameif outside
 security-level 0
 ip address 126.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 no nameif
 no security-level
 no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.11
 vlan 11
 nameif Accounting
 security-level 100
 ip address 192.168.10.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/1.12
 vlan 12
 nameif  Technical
 security-level 100
ip address 192.168.12.1 255.255.255.0

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.13
 vlan 13
 nameif  Managers
 security-level 100
ip address 192.168.13.1 255.255.255.0

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0  126.1.1.2

same-security-traffic permit intra-interface

object network MyAccountingLan
  subnet 192.168.11.0.255.255.255.0

nat (Accounting,outside) source dynamic MyAccountingLan  interface

And so on .....

Hope it helps,

Masoud

hi Masoud,

I have configured the ASA firewall and SW exactly the way you guys thought me but I can not ping my asa from SW and PC using it management interface IP / inside interface ip

also nat command doesn't work the way you have done it?

attached please find the configuration both in SW and ASA kindly see whats wrong that I cant ping and bring asdm

Than you

Hello,

For the first step, allow ICMP on ASA with this command.

ICMP permit 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 Network-Managment.

You should be able to ping ASA(VLAN 10) from Switch and from the PC after applying this command.

Hi Masoud,

i hoghly appreciate your patience, I did put the icmp permit command they way u asked me but still I can not get pig to my pc / Sw or even I cannot ping any port in ASA itself .

Looking forward  to hear from you.

thank you 

Check to see whether interface trunk is up. Try to change Native VLAN to 1 just for test. Keep VLAN 10 for ping purpose. After that, try this ping

Ping from PC to 192.168.10.10(switch)

Switch to ASA

PC to ASA

I did trunk the Sw port as:

sw trunk encapsulation dot1q

sw mode trunk 

Sw trunk native vlan 10 allowed  vlan all

There might be some misconfiguration in Asa itself, will u be free after 3 hours to take a remote session for me to look at it once ? 

Did you change native VLAN  to 1? I am going to sleep. It is midnight here now.

Please share the last configuration.

Alright , I am gonna change it and send you the final, email me your contact at Bahman.sadiq@gmail.com

thank you 

good night 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card