ASAv - Multiple Outside Subnets?

smorrissey88
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Say I have 2 public IP subnets: 

• 1.2.30.1/24 
  • 1.2.50.1/24 (NEWLY ADDED)

The subnet 1.2.50.1/24 is NEW, and being routed to me by the ISP. I'm seeing ARP requests come in when I do a debug arp:

arp-in: request at outside from 1.2.50.1 0005.8562.ddee for 1.2.50.100 0000.0000.0000 having smac 0005.8562.ddee dmac ffff.ffff.ffff

The issue is that, even with a NAT rule, I can't seem to get anything to actually load. What am I missing here? It's like the firewall can see the ARP request but isn't answering it. 

My NAT rule:

nat (ASA_DMZ,outside) source static internal-haproxy-vip 1.2.50.100-vip service https https description NEW NETWORK TEST

Any ideas? I DID create a static route as well:

route outside 1.2.50.0 255.255.255.0 1.2.50.1 1
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The new subnet is routed by your provider then everyone from outside can reach your firewall. You don't need to create a static route on asa for this public subnet.

Asa isn't replying to arp because you don't have a real interface within this subnet. To allow that you'll need to user the command arp permit-nonconnected

If you have created your nat, do you see your traffic arriving on asa? Did you do a test with packet-tracer as well to test your nat?

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

The new subnet is routed by your provider then everyone from outside can reach your firewall. You don't need to create a static route on asa for this public subnet.

Asa isn't replying to arp because you don't have a real interface within this subnet. To allow that you'll need to user the command arp permit-nonconnected

If you have created your nat, do you see your traffic arriving on asa? Did you do a test with packet-tracer as well to test your nat?

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

You were correct, adding arp permit-nonconnected fixed it, thanks!

You're very welcome

Thanks
Francesco
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card