Views
Helpful
Replies

asr1k router - control plane(RP) vs data plane(ESP) quesiton

jacob_pansfield
Level 1
Level 1

If I have the following topology:

R1[1.1.1.1]---------[1.1.1.2]R2[2.2.2.2] ------------[2.2.2.3]R3[3.3.3.3]----------[3.3.3.4]R4

1. r2 is an asr1k with ios-xe.

2. all routes have been statically created on each router.

3. network is stable and all pings are working

Assume I turn off the route processor on R2 (no redundancy). If I ping from R1 to R4, will this packet be forwarded out through R2?

Reason why I ask is because I've read that it's the ESP (Embedded Services Processor) that is the forwarding engine of the router (responsible for data plane functions). Route Processor (RP) is the brains of the asr1k responsible for control plane functions.

RP is responsible for building and distributing forwarding information to the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Embedded Services Processor (ESP).

1 Reply 1

maudaall
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jacob, your understanding is totally correct, the ESP is responsible to forward the data traffic, while as the RP is for the control plane.. so if you're turning off the RP of the ISR1K router, which is the brain of the device, and no redundancy, then how could the router to continue functioning ? its like you taking the engine from a car and wondering if it will start moving afterwards.

The same applied here, if the RP is up, the router is up.. so answering your question, the ping will not reach the destination and will be dropped at R2 considering the router is not connected

maudaall
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card