cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning an IP address to a fastethernet port on a NM-16EWS-1GIG card

manuel.dennis
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to implement a 3845-SRST/K9 with a NM-16EWS-1GIG RJ-45 port card under IOS 12.4(24)T4.

When I attempt to assign an IP address to a fastethernet port I get a response that the card is L2.  Is this correct?  Is the card only L2 capable, or can I do something in the IOS, so that I can assign IP addresses to the ports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The port is on the switch module but it configurable from router IOS and so you just type  int fx/x and under it no switchport

and then you can give it an ip address.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

To assign an ip address to  this interface you must make it a routed port( by default it is a L2 port, remember this is a switching module) by issuing the interface command  no switchport then you can do ip address x.x.x.x

Regards.

Alain

Alain,

Thanks.  It never occurred to me that a router would behave like an unmanaged switch.  I looked at the IOS 12 command reference and it shows the command implemented at the switch level.  On a router, do I implement it at the router level or the port level?

Manny

Hi,

The port is on the switch module but it configurable from router IOS and so you just type  int fx/x and under it no switchport

and then you can give it an ip address.

Regards.

Alain.

Alain,

Thanks,

I used the sequence:

config t

interface fastethernet1/n

no switchport

ip address nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn  255.255.255.n

and it worked, but I had to do it for each port, which was a pain.

Manny

Hi,

You could have done it with the interface range command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/interface/command/reference/irfinter.html#wp1052019

Regards.

Alain.

Hi,
i think you can do no switchport on multiple interfaces with command interface range fa0/1-5.

guruvignesh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Manuel,

The NM-16EWS-1GIG card is Layer 2 (L2) and does not support assigning IP addresses directly to its ports. To use IP addresses, connect it to a router with Layer 3 capabilities.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card